What are people using as an alternative?

KarmaCapri

I would like to control my T2D with diet, exercise and natural foods/herbs etc, what are people doing and how is it working for you?
Currently I am not taking any medication for it by choice but my last readings have been consistently high .. like 11.7
I am getting so fed up of measuring foods etc.
This all kicked off when I was hospitalised for covid and they put me in steroids...my BSL shot right up into the 20's. Until then I had no problems with T2D so was very shocked when they said I had it..this was in February 2022.
They shot me up with insulin, put me on glicazide all while I didn't have a clue what was going on as I was out of it with virus.
I don't want to be a slave to T2D, so anything natural tried and worked please share. Thank you

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there and welcome!

Many of us have taken control of our T2 by reducing the amount of carbohydrate we eat. You’re interested in ‘anything natural’ so as broad rule of thumb I’d suggest eating real foods - meat, fish, eggs, some dairy, above ground veg - and avoiding the ‘beige’ carbs (potatoes, rice, bread, pasta) and anything highly processed (even that marketed as ‘low carb’ or ‘keto’).

Take a look at the dietdoctor.com website - full of information, recipes and meal plans. No need to take any of their paid options (unless you want to) as you can find everything you need for free.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to control my T2D with diet, exercise and natural foods/herbs etc, what are people doing and how is it working for you?
Currently I am not taking any medication for it by choice but my last readings have been consistently high .. like 11.7
I am getting so fed up of measuring foods etc.
This all kicked off when I was hospitalised for covid and they put me in steroids...my BSL shot right up into the 20's. Until then I had no problems with T2D so was very shocked when they said I had it..this was in February 2022.
They shot me up with insulin, put me on glicazide all while I didn't have a clue what was going on as I was out of it with virus.
I don't want to be a slave to T2D, so anything natural tried and worked please share. Thank you
Are you still on steroids? They can raise bs
BTW I agree low carb real food with some physical activity you enjoy every day, walking, dancing, weights whatever you like

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @KarmaCapri and welcome to the forums.

Steroid induced diabetes is unfortunately a known issue
Steroid Induced Diabetes - Cause, Symptoms & Treatment

As @MrsA2 asked, are you still on them? I would hope that things become easier once you are off the steroids,,,,

I agree with the others' suggestions that low carb is the way to go. If you are carrying any extra weight then reducing that (as a result of low carb and/or exercise?) may also help.

But if you had covid and the steroids only in February (as in 2 months ago) I'd hope that things will improve anyway as you recover from what's been a very traumatic time for your body.

Good luck.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Mike Jacobs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
Hi all,

Been a member for a while but hadn't posted.

If there's some forum posting etiquette I may need to brush up on then I welcome the input if/once transgressed.

As to the thread's title:
Generally fit, active, eat well, rest well. Numbers stay nondiabetic with medication, diet, exercise... except recently. A1C was 98. Unsure why or what lead to it. No changes in the usual suspects that might contribute.

Endo wanted to add a 3rd medication but I declined.

Added fenugreek and black cumin seeds along with 1 tsp raw honey daily. Went from an average daily 2hr postprandial reading over 15mmol/270mgdl (my Endo says he doesn't know how I'm still alive) to 6.4/115 postprandial.

Hope everyone is doing well and if not, I hope it gets better.

Reactions: Speedbird

U.G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mike - could you share how you take the black cumin seed and fenugreek? I just started about 1 tbsp fenugreek soaked in water overnight & I drink the water (not the seeds). How many times do you take this per day?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I did measure or weigh everything at first, and tested before then 2 hrs after every meal. From this I knew how many carbs I could eat and which foods were ok.
Maybe not so necessary if you don't have a sweet tooth but as that is largely genetic and some of us really struggle to give up sweet foods I wanted to give myself the best chance of staying on track.
So I knew I could have full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries and a couple of squares of 85% chocolate.

I don't weigh every day now, just if I notice 'carb creep' or try a new food.