Going out for a meal

steveo4

How do you manage when going out for a Chinese buffet style meal with your control. No matter what I try I always go high the following morning. I do a multi wave or extended bolus but nothing seems to work for me.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
How do you manage when going out for a Chinese buffet style meal with your control. No matter what I try I always go high the following morning. I do a multi wave or extended bolus but nothing seems to work for me.
Similar issues for myself, even with just a Chinese meal. Feeling your pain. X

Reactions: steveo4

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, this is why it's important to know what is good for you and what to avoid!
Every restaurant will have a breakdown of the food it serves by law!
I have quite a few (lots) of food intolerance and if in doubt ask the chef, you will be surprised at the friendly response!

Good hunting!

Reactions: steveo4

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Similar issues for myself, even with just a Chinese meal. Feeling your pain. X
Same :arghh:
My old DSN said "have your bolus extended for as long as you normally feel full" ok, well that's about half an hour :hilarious: I think she suggested 6 hours, but I haven't worked out what works best for me yet.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your level goes high, you need more insulin.
If you go high later, you need to extend your bolus for longer.

Unfortunately, we are all different and Chinese meals are all different so there is no “one size fits all” solution. You have to test to find out what works for you.

Remember, there can be a lot of “hidden carbs” in Chinese sauces.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often have an additional bolus at bed time meal out or not. Often I'm increasing my basal overnight too.

Drinking has an opposite effect on me sending my sugars high instead of low so factor this in too.

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't stay in range (even close) if I eat out at a Chinese restaurant--too much rice, flour, sugar and all way to difficult for me to estimate. I find it is a little better on a pump than MDI, best solution I've found is to split my bolus 65:35 with the 35% delivered over an hour. I then increase my basal rate (a lot!) and set my Libre alarm to catch any impending Hypo so I can cancel it in time. FWIW because I'm on Fiasp I find if I go too high by sensitive plummets and I risk hypos on the way back down so I try to use temp basal instead of bolus to. control it.

faujidoc1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I then increase my basal rate (a lot!)

I'm wondering about how to use temp basal on the pump to control the unexpectedly high BG encountered post meals in situations like this. (New pumper, Tandem tslim with BasalIQ, Dexcom)

I find that when the BasalIQ switches off the basal to avoid a low, BG reacts in about 15-20 min by rising. Would increasing the Basal rate by setting a temp basal of 200 or even 300% do the same thing for a post meal high?

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering about how to use temp basal on the pump to control the unexpectedly high BG encountered post meals in situations like this. (New pumper, Tandem tslim with BasalIQ, Dexcom)

I find that when the BasalIQ switches off the basal to avoid a low, BG reacts in about 15-20 min by rising. Would increasing the Basal rate by setting a temp basal of 200 or even 300% do the same thing for a post meal high?

FWIW I push my temp basal up to 200%, set my BG alarms to catch a 'low' / scan regularly and yes the extra insulin from a temp basal lasts about 20 mins so once I cancel it things return to normal quite quickly.