Coffee?

Newbie93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m type one for 8 years now- always struggled to control my sugars. I’m 29. Noticed my blood sugar when I wake is normally ok but no matter what insulin I have coffee makes it shoot up. I have a coffee with milk and one sugar. Sometimes two coffees but have 6-8 units nova rapid depending on breakfast. Has anyone else had to give up coffee? I don’t think it’s the sugar either.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it only when you have it for breakfast?

If so reckon its mor4e likely to be either dawn phenomenon, foot on the floor or the sugar rather than the actual coffee
I know I get dawn phenomenon so my sugar level goes up between 3am and 7am no matter what, some get foot-on-the-floor and theirs go up when they get up from sleep, or it may just be you're very sensitive to sugar first thing

I know I do need more insulin in the morning for carbs than later in the day as well, and anything even vaguely sweet makes my sugar level rocket first thing- it does come back down to what it should be but takes its fine old time.

Reactions: Nikki-616

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it only when you have it for breakfast?

If so reckon its mor4e likely to be either dawn phenomenon, foot on the floor or the sugar rather than the actual coffee
I know I get dawn phenomenon so my sugar level goes up between 3am and 7am no matter what, some get foot-on-the-floor and theirs go up when they get up from sleep, or it may just be you're very sensitive to sugar first thing

I know I do need more insulin in the morning for carbs than later in the day as well, and anything even vaguely sweet makes my sugar level rocket first thing- it does come back down to what it should be but takes its fine old time.
I’m inclined to agree but the easiest way to be sure is go a morning without eating or drinking anything (except water) and see what happens. Will let you know the baseline you’re working from.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with those above, but some people do find caffeine raises their BG levels. Might be worth trying decaf?

Newbie93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve never heard of foot on the floor so thank you for that information. I feel like I need coffee to wake up but out of routine and the caffeine so tomorrow I will try just water to see where I’m at. Unfortunately I do find they go up when exercising also.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may be the adrenaline from the coffee rush. Same with exercise. It is the run/ fight hormone, and it stops insulin from storing glucose and lipids. Gentle exercise should not trigger adrenaline, but HIIT can.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I drink coffe with milk without sugar and don't need insulin for It (if I don't eat something)...
I agree that you should try way go a morning without eating or drinking anything and see what happens. And may be you should try to drink coffe at other times of the day and check your blood sugar before and after it

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not sure having nothing will tell you much, if I don’t eat or drink my numbers are higher than with food etc. I would say do everything the same but drink decaf, then try with black coffee, then milk caffeine no sugar, I drink a bucket of coffee a day so may well try this myself, I hope you get something useful from you test