How to conceive with high sugars

Muffins222

Hi I’ve been trying for two months previously miscarried due to not taking my multivitamin and having high sugars.

Has anyone conceived with high sugars ?

And has anyone planned a pregnancy with diabetes ?

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for your loss previously. Are you diagnosed with type 2? You should inform your GP and they will refer you to the prenatal diabetes clinic at the hospital. What is your hba1c? They advise you to get it to 6.5% if possible. How are you treating it ? Have you made diet changes ?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi I’ve been trying for two months previously miscarried due to not taking my multivitamin and having high sugars.

Has anyone conceived with high sugars ?

And has anyone planned a pregnancy with diabetes ?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Conceiving isn't usually the problem, it's keeping the levels from going too high that is usually the issue.
If you look on the pregnancy forum then there are plenty of folk getting pregnant with sugars higher than they like.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/pregnancy.47/

There is also plenty of discussion from diabetics who plan to get pregnant.

Would you like me to move your thread there? The GD forum is more for people who become diabetic during pregnancy. You are already diabetic (T2), I assume???

Ideally you'd get your levels down before you TTC but things aren't always ideal. As @OB87 said, if you contact your GP they should put you in contact with a diabetes prenatal clinic, who'll be able to help you get your levels sorted.

Good luck on your journey.

GDM06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
So sorry about your loss. High HBA1c has been linked to miscarriage and cardiac issues with baby. As suggested a review in pre-conception clinic will be recommended before you conceive to optimise HBA1c before conceiving. Get referral from your GP

• Informative
Reactions: filly

Puczini

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about your loss. I also had high sugars when trying to conceive and although not formally diagnosed with diabetes until after the baby was born, I knew deep down that it was inevitable. I spent a year trying to conceive and really focused on changing my diet which I think helped in the end but then old habits came back postpartum very quickly and resulted in diagnosis. Keep trying and good luck.