Was my drink spiked?

iAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I recently was out with a group of friends a few of which including myself were quite sick after, we all vomited. I myself only had 4 drinks which I can usually handle on a night out However the next day one of my friends expressed a concern to me that I hadn’t really considered, she said she thought our drinks had been spiked as they were left unattended with a bartender for a few minutes with our backs turned. I hadn’t really considered that my drink may have been spiked as my bloods had been running on the higher side all day as I didn’t have my BG meter with me only a spare sensor which I was waiting to calibrate as the one I had on had failed so I didn’t take much insulin out of fear of my BG rapidly dropping over night as my doctor advised me to not inject while drinking. I had eaten before hand and was fine until my friend got sick so we brought her back home and suddenly I was in and out of consciousness. What I’m trying to figure out is whether I was vomiting from ketones or from potentially being spiked. I did check my ketones the next day and they were 1.8 but didn’t go to hospital as I felt I could cope appropriately at home instead of waiting in a&e. I’m just concerned as I couldn’t find anything online and type 1 and drink spiking with drugs

RoughcutAU

Being that you weren’t the only one to get sick it is definitely a possibility but alcohols effects aren’t consistent. When I’m having a few drinks I follow the advice to keep myself as “safe” as possible but still it is a risk. There are alot of factors to consider and then Diabetes has a knack of throwing a curveball at you anyway.

You sound like you have your head screwed on right so I would take it as a life lesson.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I recently was out with a group of friends a few of which including myself were quite sick after, we all vomited. I myself only had 4 drinks which I can usually handle on a night out However the next day one of my friends expressed a concern to me that I hadn’t really considered, she said she thought our drinks had been spiked as they were left unattended with a bartender for a few minutes with our backs turned. I hadn’t really considered that my drink may have been spiked as my bloods had been running on the higher side all day as I didn’t have my BG meter with me only a spare sensor which I was waiting to calibrate as the one I had on had failed so I didn’t take much insulin out of fear of my BG rapidly dropping over night as my doctor advised me to not inject while drinking. I had eaten before hand and was fine until my friend got sick so we brought her back home and suddenly I was in and out of consciousness. What I’m trying to figure out is whether I was vomiting from ketones or from potentially being spiked. I did check my ketones the next day and they were 1.8 but didn’t go to hospital as I felt I could cope appropriately at home instead of waiting in a&e. I’m just concerned as I couldn’t find anything online and type 1 and drink spiking with drugs

Hi,

Baring in mind your party suffered the same symptoms & the only commonality is the drinks?
Here is an NHS link on the possible topic. https://111.wales.nhs.uk/Drinkspiking/

This should be brought up with the venue management too..