1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Was my drink spiked?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by iAnna, Apr 25, 2022.

1. iAnna

iAnna Type 1 · Newbie

Hi I recently was out with a group of friends a few of which including myself were quite sick after, we all vomited. I myself only had 4 drinks which I can usually handle on a night out However the next day one of my friends expressed a concern to me that I hadn’t really considered, she said she thought our drinks had been spiked as they were left unattended with a bartender for a few minutes with our backs turned. I hadn’t really considered that my drink may have been spiked as my bloods had been running on the higher side all day as I didn’t have my BG meter with me only a spare sensor which I was waiting to calibrate as the one I had on had failed so I didn’t take much insulin out of fear of my BG rapidly dropping over night as my doctor advised me to not inject while drinking. I had eaten before hand and was fine until my friend got sick so we brought her back home and suddenly I was in and out of consciousness. What I’m trying to figure out is whether I was vomiting from ketones or from potentially being spiked. I did check my ketones the next day and they were 1.8 but didn’t go to hospital as I felt I could cope appropriately at home instead of waiting in a&e. I’m just concerned as I couldn’t find anything online and type 1 and drink spiking with drugs

2. RoughcutAU

RoughcutAU · Well-Known Member

Being that you weren’t the only one to get sick it is definitely a possibility but alcohols effects aren’t consistent. When I’m having a few drinks I follow the advice to keep myself as “safe” as possible but still it is a risk. There are alot of factors to consider and then Diabetes has a knack of throwing a curveball at you anyway.

You sound like you have your head screwed on right so I would take it as a life lesson.

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Baring in mind your party suffered the same symptoms & the only commonality is the drinks?
    Here is an NHS link on the possible topic. https://111.wales.nhs.uk/Drinkspiking/

This should be brought up with the venue management too..

• Informative Informative x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook