Hypos or is it?

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
What is the lowest it’s been with no adverse affects for you.

I’ve been 3.3 and felt fine and I’ve been on no meds now for nearly a month.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you feel fine and you're not on meds, it's fine. :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Have walked around with bs of 2.1 felt Ok ish but have had a blood sugar of 3.1 and could have eaten the bum off a rhino ( one of my hypo symptoms btw) both of these taken with a finger prick ,

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
the sensor was faulty as it then read 1 and stopped working

finger prick taken and I was 4.5

that’s what I get for running and not feeding first too.

note to self eat something other than coffee before intense exercise :shifty::shifty:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've been down to 1.8 and felt fine , I just did a blood test took a couple of spoonfuls of glucose and half an hour later reading about 6 , we are all different whats ok for me maybe a full blown hypo for someone else .

Colliewobbles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am steroid induced diabetes and went down to 2.3 last august and went unconscious and unresponsive and had to intubate me as couldnt get a line in, they tried glucogel which sat on my mouth and gluagon injections and nothing.. they rang my family but i could hear everything but just couldnt respond.. at 2.3 i had no sign i was low.. i was in hospital when it happened and was due to not tapering off steroids after allergic reaction and my body had an argument with its self.. even at 2.3 i felt fine even though i felt sleep.. and when they tried to give me life fluids i threw up and became unconscious ended up having to drill through let to get glucose through leg marrowbone .. the drilling didnt hurt but the fluid through marrowbone did as it was thick. after 2 bags i started to come round and had to take 2 lots of glucogel gags.. but an hour later i started to drop again so more sugars.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel absolutely great, full of energy, when I'm in the 4s. Once below that, I get a particular feeling so I check my blood sugar and eat a few carbs. If it's dropping quickly and I find myself below 3, I have a horrible sensation of dread and the shakes will start, so I immediately eat at least 2 pieces of fruit. 20 minutes later I'm fine and not too high. During the night, I wake up normally every 2 hours or so, which is a good thing if I go low.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been as low as 2.2 and definately did not feel fine in fact it took my wife, daughter and grandson to get be up of the floor.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been 3.3 and felt fine and I’ve been on no meds now for nearly a month.
Please keep in mind there's a very big difference between being on meds, especially gliclazide or insulin when it comes to hypos.
Many of the reactions on this thread are by people on insulin, and while they do answer your question, their experience is not relatable to your situation bein treated by diet only.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the lowest blood glucose before starting any medication was 3.6 mmol/l (finger prick test) - had that a couple of times and felt OK which I think was due to sufficiently high ketone levels (on a very low carb diet).
I would do a finger prick test if suspect low blood glucose levels due to CGM reading or hypo symptoms, and treating a hypo.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Please keep in mind there's a very big difference between being on meds, especially gliclazide or insulin when it comes to hypos.
Many of the reactions on this thread are by people on insulin, and while they do answer your question, their experience is not relatable to your situation bein treated by diet only.

I know I did scare myself but took a finger prick test and I was fine. This is relevantly new the no meds and going low and not having to be scraped of the floor in the past.

Reactions: Antje77

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you are fine op, interesting I thought hypo was a number not a symptom, I would have answered yes to hypo at that level but a “good” hypo :) if you feel fine and take no meds I’d say aim as low as you can. I feel dreadful if I go that low, hands and lips tingle, head is hot, below 3 I can’t speak properly, it’s not like being drunk as I’ve read, it’s more like dieing for me, I’m scared of hypos

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Antje77 hi Antje I took your point but I do not take blood sugar lowering medications of any sort and am diet managed only but still had some nasty lows.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@Antje77 hi Antje I took your point but I do not take blood sugar lowering medications of any sort and am diet managed only but still had some nasty lows.

That's not good. Have you been checked out for the various non diabetic hypoglycemic conditions such as bt not limited to RH? (Hopefully RH would be handled by low carb but there are other conditions.)