Metformin query

zerocarbisbest

I am Type 2 & ended up in hospital after my body decided to reject metformin & empagliflozin I am now on Insulin 4 times a day
my personal suggestion eat healthy foods that does not require much insulin secreted or injected, and let your body heal. which foods are healthy I wont mention because people just want bread, ice cream, and take a pill or inject insulin and think the sugar they ingest is magically disappearing, well its not. Metformin is helpful, but if people rely on it as an eternal crutch thinking its going to solve the reason diabetes develops in the first place, well it solves it so perfectly that. pill becomes 2, 2 > 4, 4>insulin and people are just getting worse. if excess of sugar is the problem how about not keep eating it for some time, again dont remove it overnight cause it will do more damage than good, hard to suggest people to be vegeterians with very little meat consumption, eat nice fats, when all they want is eat sugar and take a pill. good luck.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So - going back to my question, it seems that once BG is stable at non-diabetic levels from diet and lifestyle, there are no advantages to continuing to take Metformin.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe metformin together with diet and exercise helped me to lose weight, since metformin helps reduce insulin resistance. Without metformin I do not lose weight and I still have alot of weight to lose. However metformin can also deplete vit B12 levels. My own B12 levels were lowish before becoming T2 10 years ago. Last year I needed a B12 injection as I became deficient. I won't take metformin anymore. If I stay fat forever then so be it, the effects of B12 deficiency weren't pleasant.

zerocarbisbest

So - going back to my question, it seems that once BG is stable at non-diabetic levels from diet and lifestyle, there are no advantages to continuing to take Metformin.
if u watch videos from dr david sinclair he claims possible longevity benefits but he doesnt even know for sure. but he takes a tiny ammount once a week. god knows.

zerocarbisbest

I believe metformin together with diet and exercise helped me to lose weight, since metformin helps reduce insulin resistance. Without metformin I do not lose weight and I still have alot of weight to lose. However metformin can also deplete vit B12 levels. My own B12 levels were lowish before becoming T2 10 years ago. Last year I needed a B12 injection as I became deficient. I won't take metformin anymore. If I stay fat forever then so be it, the effects of B12 deficiency weren't pleasant.
do u follow keto diet? how much carbs daily? do u embrace the fats?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your input. Zerocarbisbest, I can't watch videos, but I think you and I both suspect that it's very difficult to prove longevity until we snuff it, and probably not even then because we never can tell how old we might have become if we had made different decisions..

Zand, that was useful input. A negative for continuing Metformin there apart from the weight loss angle, which is important to a lot of us.

Briandoc, we can compare notes in due course - it will be interesting.

I really appreciate all of you who have added to the information.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately my ancient decrepit computer does not do sound. But thank you for the thought.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No smartphone! Very old mobile that doesn't even send texts.