Metformin query

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several of you have said that it's a good idea to keep taking Metformin as there are benefits. I am on the verge of stopping my now one-a-day pill as my BG has been in the non-diabetic range since last October. I am keto, and love it, so no problems there. Please would you list the possible benefits of metformin for me to help with my decision?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i should have made clearer - apologies - I am after actual first-hand information from real diabetics, not general NHS information which may or may not be slanted towards NHS dogma.

Muffins222

Several of you have said that it's a good idea to keep taking Metformin as there are benefits. I am on the verge of stopping my now one-a-day pill as my BG has been in the non-diabetic range since last October. I am keto, and love it, so no problems there. Please would you list the possible benefits of metformin for me to help with my decision?

Did the keto help you manage your diabetes? I did hear metformin is good for conceiving.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i should have made clearer - apologies - I am after actual first-hand information from real diabetics, not general NHS information which may or may not be slanted towards NHS dogma.
Eh? I was until recently on Metformin, I am still alive. Will that do?

Not sure how looking from the perspective of the User will answer your question.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Muffins222, the keto quickly put my diabetes in remission

I have neither wish or ability to conceive.and so am unaware of that particular effect.

Oldvatr, I am very pleased to hear that you are still alive.

Thank you both for your input.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have neither wish or ability to conceive.and so am unaware of that particular effect.

My view would be that all medications have side effects.

If you are happy with what you are taking then continue.

Personally I'd rather keep any medication for the future if/when needed.

Muffins222

I think I may need to start keto x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to stop the Metformin and Atorvastatin before it killed me or I topped myself. Such a relief but the side effects took a long time to fade.
I am told that few have such bad side effects, but no record or report was made of mine, so I suspect that it is just a matter of not wanting to keep a tally of the consequences when they are unwanted.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your input. I'd rather come off meds if they are unnecessary too. I don't believe I need the Metformin - and if, by coming off it completely, I find my BG goes up despite keto, then it's easy enough to go back to my current low dose. I asked the question because I have read several times on this (wonderful) Board that there are advantages to Metformin, and I wanted to know what they were. And I wanted to know actual benefit experienced by real people, not theories posed by drugs companies, NHS staff and others with an agenda that doesn't prioritise my wellbeing over their profits.

Reactions: Speedbird

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are asking the wrong question. As I said I am still alive. There is no way I can claim that Metformin played any part in that. My insulin resistance is improved compared to where I was last year, and since giving up Metformin at the start of this year my monthly average has changed from 5.9 to 6,2, but I am in no position to determine if Metformin is involved in that change. Has it helped my heart? Don;t know. Has it helped reduce my plaque? Cannot say. Am I less aged? Er = ?

It is easier to list the adverse things about Metformin, Gastric distress, wind and bloating lactic acid buildup etc, and also to postulate that Metformin does beggar all for reducing blood sugars compared to my diet changes.

It is up to you. The study I linked to was an oversight of several independant studies, and provides a trend analysis that is probably quite sound. I accept it as evidence. What evidence are you basing your judgement on?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't made a judgement, and I was asking for evidence so I could improve my knowledge. I am very appreciative of all of you who took the time to answer my query. Based on these replies, disregarding any effect on BG, there are no "other" benefits from taking Metformin. Time will tell!

If anyone else wants to add any info from their own experiences at any time, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: Nikki-616

zerocarbisbest

I haven't made a judgement, and I was asking for evidence so I could improve my knowledge. I am very appreciative of all of you who took the time to answer my query. Based on these replies, disregarding any effect on BG, there are no "other" benefits from taking Metformin. Time will tell!

If anyone else wants to add any info from their own experiences at any time, I'd appreciate it.
look for dr. david sinclair videos, he does not have diabetes and takes a very small ammount once a week I believe, the benefits of it, or possible benefits u can find in the video.

keep in mind if u go clean keto, and your blood glucose is at a low steady beautiful level, and u take metformin u may go so low as to feel unwell, hypo, etc.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You made your judgement in Post #13. Do you have evidence to support what you stated?

Its your party, and I have no axe to grind especially since I have finally given it up after some 30 years. In my case it was lactic acid buildup due to poor kidney function.

I hear what you say about Big Pharma, but Metformin is derived from the French Lilac, and has been used as a herbal remedy to treat diabetes for a couple of centuries, so it has a good provenance. But there were snake oil salesmen in those days too.

Last edited:
Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
look for dr. david sinclair videos, he does not have diabetes and takes a very small ammount once a week I believe, the benefits of it, or possible benefits u can find in the video.

keep in mind if u go clean keto, and your blood glucose is at a low steady beautiful level, and u take metformin u may go so low as to feel unwell, hypo, etc.
And its a hit with other non diabetics too
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/23/met...tion-longevity-popular-in-silicon-valley.html

postinic

I am Type 2 & ended up in hospital after my body decided to reject metformin & empagliflozin I am now on Insulin 4 times a day

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Took metformin for 1 week . The things it did to my stomach was something I’d never experienced . Do Zi stopped it . Went low carb high fat . That was 4 years ago I’m now in remission for 3 1/2 years and 5 stone lighter . Not ever taking it again . Hopefully