Questions for T slim users

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Paradigm pump ran out of warrantee a couple of months ago, and my DSN is waiting on me for a choice of a new pump (out of Medtronic 780g, Omni pod (dash?) and T-Slim).
I'm actually not keen on any of them! Lol. The 780g is bigger than my current one, the Omni pod is just going to catch on things left, right and ctr (I'm a car mechanic), and whilst the T-slim was looking like the ticket (it's smaller :) ) I found out it has a rechargeable battery!

Now usually I'm all for rechargeable batteries (e.g I have them for my torches at work), but for an insulin pump it seems absolutely bonkers to me! (fixed battery anyway). My DSN tells me they're only supplied with 1 battery, so you can't just swap them over whilst charging the low one. And they apparently need charging 1-2 times a week.
So does that mean when charging it, you are tethered to the charging point!?
How long does it take to charge?
Can you buy a 2nd battery for an easy swap and charge? Or would it need to go back to the factory to take the battery out?
How long will it keep running from the 1st low battery warning? (This feels like the pump version of range anxiety! lol).
Do you guys just charge it up a little and often? (the DSN thought that).

Oh, the other thing that put me off the T slim, is apparently the insulin only lasts 2 days!?
It bloody annoys me to have to change my current pump's set every 3 days, I certainly couldn't tolerate 2!
Are you guys finding it only lasts 2 days? (for the T slim only I'm asking).

I actually thought of a 4th option, re changing pumps, simply not! I'm going to ask the DSN about that, my only concern is if I were to lose pump funding (I've no idea if that is, or is not a possibility). I have my previous Paradigm pump as a back up (and I tested it 5 months ago), so I'm not worried if my current one fails (obviously when I'm down to a single pump, then I'll have to arrange for a new one. But maybe my current one will last a couple more years, and then I might have new and better choices then!).

Oh, if it matters, I'm using Libre 1 sensors, Novorapid for the pump, and no pump-CGM as I don't have funding for that (I did briefly self fund for holidays, but the Libre negated that :) ).

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do not use any of the pumps you mention but have read that most people charge their t Slim when they take it off for a shower which seems pretty straightforward.

As for catching Omnipod, I am surprised by that. It is smaller than most pumps and has no tubes to catch. I have a different patch pump and have never caught it whilst gardening, climbing, diy, etc.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Go for the T Slim, you have the option to add the Dexcom which the NHS could fund at a later point and you can the use the control IQ system where your pump will automatically administer insulin when high and suspend when going low, I have had the best sleep ever since using the t slim as it keeps me in range all night with a steady line, the battery charging is neither nor there, you can charge whilst in the car and tethered or as in response has said whilst in the shower, doesn’t take long to recharge, I also only change my cartridge when insulin runs out so can be 3 days sometimes 4, it’s reps who promote 2 days but doesn’t affect the efficacy if left a few days longer.

Reactions: Assimilator1

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only 1 week in to being a pumper with the T Slim but I love it!

The rep suggested I charge for 10 mins a day just to keep it topped up and it charges quickly. Like above mentioned, I usually just plug it in while I bath/ shower and that's more than enough time for it to be back at 100%.

I was surprised by how tiny the pump is. I'm also coming on 8 months pregnant and have the cannula in my stomach - I haven't got cabling caught on anything yet, even with my stomach sticking out what feels like a mile

I may be wrong, but I think the difference between 2-3 days of insulin is down to what infusion set you use. I'm using Tru Steel so change every 2 days but I think some of the other cannulas allow you to go to 3 - someone else will need to confirm this. The pump can hold 300 units so it depends how many units you're getting through on average daily as well.

With recent announcements, you should be upgraded to at least a Libre 2 or a Dexcom. The Dexcom works with the Tandem and has the closed loop technology. Again, due to pregnancy, I haven't got my Control IQ turned on as it isn't licensed for use but I will be switching it on as soon as I've delivered.

Hope this helps, even if I am a complete pump newbie x

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good to hear it charges quickly, that's something anyway, my trouble would be remembering to do it. I'm not kidding either.
Pump capacity isn't a problem for me, I only fill the reservoir with ~170 units and there's still some left at 3 days.

I have heard of Libre 2 and 3, but what are the announcements you refer to? Got a link?
Thanks for your reply, and congrats on the baby to come :).

I do not use any of the pumps you mention but have read that most people charge their t Slim when they take it off for a shower which seems pretty straightforward.

As for catching Omnipod, I am surprised by that. It is smaller than most pumps and has no tubes to catch. I have a different patch pump and have never caught it whilst gardening, climbing, diy, etc.
Re charging it, yea I did wonder if that was done, my problem would be remembering to do that. I could see I would often forget to do that for several weeks....

And about catching the Omnipod, yea remember I said I am a car mechanic, that quite often entails e.g laying in the footwell (on my side or back) to get under the dash, leaning on my front over the slam panel and engine to get to things some way down, which sometimes means getting my arms right down too etc. As it is atm with my pump's infuser and the Libre sensors, I quite often catch those, although mostly they don't get torn off.
Additionally on long drives, if I have an infuser on my back, or on the front where the seatbelt goes it can get quite sore, a pump there would make it much worse!

Go for the T Slim, you have the option to add the Dexcom which the NHS could fund at a later point and you can the use the control IQ system where your pump will automatically administer insulin when high and suspend when going low, I have had the best sleep ever since using the t slim as it keeps me in range all night with a steady line, the battery charging is neither nor there, you can charge whilst in the car and tethered or as in response has said whilst in the shower, doesn’t take long to recharge, I also only change my cartridge when insulin runs out so can be 3 days sometimes 4, it’s reps who promote 2 days but doesn’t affect the efficacy if left a few days longer.

Good to hear the insulin can last longer than 2 days, but can it consistently last 3 days?
My current infusers will nearly always last 3 days, and usually last 3.5-4 days (when I over shoot), but not consistently.
I don't commute with my car, so it's quite often not used during the week (my social life isn't much atm either!), sure I could charge it whilst I'm watching TV etc, but I know what will happen, assuming I remember to put it on charge in the 1st place, I will forget I have it on charge and try and walk off with it connected, possibly tearing off the infuser or damaging the pump, but even if not, it will annoy the s*** out of me!

Thanks for your replies so far guys, would be interested to hear from other users too still.

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The announcements I refer to - basically guidelines have been updated to say that ALL Type 1s should have access to CGM (Dexcom) or Flash (Libre) Monitoring, regardless of postcode. I believe the Libre 3 is on the horizon so you should be at least updated to a Libre 2.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
but can it consistently last 3 days?

Never had an issue running into 3/4 days with levels, I also use the sure t set as I didn't get on with the teflon sets, they were a pain with kinking and then sending me sky rocket - with the steel set it's easy to insert and never causes an issue, so this is my experience with using this set and running over, personally I felt I was being pushed into a 2 day set change to use more consumables..

In regards to charging it you don't have to tether yourself, just leave it plugged in while you make dinner or have a bath/shower but if you're forgetful then set an alarm for 20 mins, only once in 18 months have I forgotten to plug myself back in and discovered 4 hours later as I was hitting 20 mmol/l.. doh, lesson learned tho !

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And about catching the Omnipod, yea remember I said I am a car mechanic, that quite often entails e.g laying in the footwell (on my side or back) to get under the dash, leaning on my front over the slam panel and engine to get to things some way down, which sometimes means getting my arms right down too etc. As it is atm with my pump's infuser and the Libre sensors, I quite often catch those, although mostly they don't get torn off.
Additionally on long drives, if I have an infuser on my back, or on the front where the seatbelt goes it can get quite sore, a pump there would make it much worse!

I use a pump belt for mine which can be tucked under my jeans, it means that there's no issues with catching it during the daytime, I exercise a fair bit too and it's never got in the way or been a nuisance, but I do wrap the tubing around the pump and use the shortest set available too.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a pump belt for mine which can be tucked under my jeans, it means that there's no issues with catching it during the daytime, I exercise a fair bit too and it's never got in the way or been a nuisance, but I do wrap the tubing around the pump and use the shortest set available too.
My pump itself isn't the issue (except when I sleep and the belt slips round), when I mentioned catching or leaning I was talking about the infusers or sensors.

Btw, does the T-slim not have regular low battery warnings?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My pump itself isn't the issue (except when I sleep and the belt slips round), when I mentioned catching or leaning I was talking about the infusers or sensors.

Btw, does the T-slim not have regular low battery warnings?

You can insert the set below your belt line so no issues there.

Yes it does have a low battery warning, but you will spot it before it get's this low, I charge mine whenever I get to 50% saves the stress then.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've tried below the belt line, if I put them where the front pockets are, it ends up getting sore as I take my hands in and out of the pockets. I can't put them on the outer part of the legs as it'll get caught/knocked during work.
I did find a few narrow locations that were neither of the above, but bizarrely after a few (not successive) uses the site/infuser would go off before the 3 days, so I gave up there.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Paradigm pump ran out of warrantee a couple of months ago, and my DSN is waiting on me for a choice of a new pump (out of Medtronic 780g, Omni pod (dash?) and T-Slim).
I'm actually not keen on any of them! Lol. The 780g is bigger than my current one, the Omni pod is just going to catch on things left, right and ctr (I'm a car mechanic), and whilst the T-slim was looking like the ticket (it's smaller :) ) I found out it has a rechargeable battery!

Now usually I'm all for rechargeable batteries (e.g I have them for my torches at work), but for an insulin pump it seems absolutely bonkers to me! (fixed battery anyway). My DSN tells me they're only supplied with 1 battery, so you can't just swap them over whilst charging the low one. And they apparently need charging 1-2 times a week.
So does that mean when charging it, you are tethered to the charging point!?
How long does it take to charge?
Can you buy a 2nd battery for an easy swap and charge? Or would it need to go back to the factory to take the battery out?
How long will it keep running from the 1st low battery warning? (This feels like the pump version of range anxiety! lol).
Do you guys just charge it up a little and often? (the DSN thought that).

Oh, the other thing that put me off the T slim, is apparently the insulin only lasts 2 days!?
It bloody annoys me to have to change my current pump's set every 3 days, I certainly couldn't tolerate 2!
Are you guys finding it only lasts 2 days? (for the T slim only I'm asking).

I actually thought of a 4th option, re changing pumps, simply not! I'm going to ask the DSN about that, my only concern is if I were to lose pump funding (I've no idea if that is, or is not a possibility). I have my previous Paradigm pump as a back up (and I tested it 5 months ago), so I'm not worried if my current one fails (obviously when I'm down to a single pump, then I'll have to arrange for a new one. But maybe my current one will last a couple more years, and then I might have new and better choices then!).

Oh, if it matters, I'm using Libre 1 sensors, Novorapid for the pump, and no pump-CGM as I don't have funding for that (I did briefly self fund for holidays, but the Libre negated that :) ).
Hello
Never heard of a 2nd battery! I plug my Tandem into a phone charger type plug either once a week or daily (if I remember to do so whilst in the shower). Pump nurse said to plug it in daily to keep it easily topped up but it doesn't drain fast at all and will alarm when getting anywhere near out of juice rather as your current one does if the battery is going low I presume?
I prefer to use my Tandem with the Dexcom sensor but its currently easy to plug in my fsl readings (good old NHS has messed up my Dexcom supplies) and calculate a bolus dose from there. Programming is very easy too for the basal dosing.
I am using Novorapid (10ml bottles).
I've had to get used to new things with the Tandem having previously had a Roche one for 8 years and the latter 4 with easy refilling via a cartridge, but other than the flex being too long for my liking, it is great!

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply, and good to hear :).
And yes my current pump gives me a warning when the battery is low, and then it'll keep going for another week! lol. Doing it that way means a battery lasts about a month :). Oh, and when the low battery alarm 1st goes off, I then grab a spare battery from the cupboard and put it in my 'med' bag which I keep with me.