Coming off Metformin

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
Over the last 2 months I've ceased taking Metformin (was on 1g/day) after keeping hba1c at 39-40 over the last year with low carb and exercise. This is with GP's agreement.

At the same time I've broken my arm, had physio, and had pretty disrupted sleep. Diet has been more erratic in timing and quantity, though always low or very low carbohydrate.

I am now seeing much higher morning blood sugar (fasted overnight, low carb meal night before) 7-8 rather than 5-6.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with stopping Metformin? If i can't get this more under control then I'll talk to GP about resuming in a month or two.

Advice appreciated,

Simon

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @simo_M Yes, metformin primarily affects the fasting BG because it reduces how much glucose your liver produces (which is in addition to that from digestion of carbohydrates).

I have been in Low Carb controlled remission for over 2yrs now, yet because of Dawn Phenomenon my FBG is still normally in the 6 to 7 mmol range.

Considering all the injury, stress, lack of sleep, erratic diet etc (all of which tend to raise BG), I see no reason for concern about your FBG levels (yet).

Reactions: simo_M

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @simo_M Yes, metformin primarily affects the fasting BG because it reduces how much glucose your liver produces (which is in addition to that from digestion of carbohydrates).

I have been in Low Carb controlled remission for over 2yrs now, yet because of Dawn Phenomenon my FBG is still normally in the 6 to 7 mmol range.

Considering all the injury, stress, lack of sleep, erratic diet etc (all of which tend to raise BG), I see no reason for concern about your FBG levels (yet).
Thanks for the reassurance.

I think I need a very strict regime for a few weeks to see what it takes for me to control this without medication. Can then get hba1c and decide if to resume Metformin.

I was lucky in that taking it didn't cause me any issues after the first couple of weeks, so it's really just stubbornness pushing me to try this without medication.

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For what it’s worth, my morning BG is lower if I have a small protein snack before bed (I’m not on medication).

Reactions: simo_M