Type 2 Testing 2 hours after the first bite…

Hezzal

Hi folks,
I’ve read that the post prandial test should be done 2 hours after your first bite of food…I’m a bit confused as to how accurate a reading one can get because, for me, I can finish eating a meal an hour+ after I start it, and will normally end with some fruit. How can I make sure I’m getting an accurate reading that properly reflects my levels?

Reactions: jjraak

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The answer is you don't.
The 2 hour rule comes from the75g OGTT which is pure glucose consumed in seconds with no fat/protein content.

Real world eating is nothing like that, a social occasion could mean grazing over 3 courses across the course of an evening washed down with various drinks. 2 Hour after your first bite could be 1 hour after the Tiramisu.

So keep the 2 hour adage to small meals with a defined amount of carbs.

Reactions: Hezzal

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,
I’ve read that the post prandial test should be done 2 hours after your first bite of food…I’m a bit confused as to how accurate a reading one can get because, for me, I can finish eating a meal an hour+ after I start it, and will normally end with some fruit. How can I make sure I’m getting an accurate reading that properly reflects my levels?
Agree that meals often last longer than two hours...we often have meals that start about 7pm and finish around midnight. I got through this problem in the early days by testing before eating as usual, and then testing at 30 mins, one hour, two hours etc, during the meal to get a clearer picture of what was going on with various foods as well as immediately afterwards. It does use the strips up, but I only did it a few times to establish the pattern. For me, adding alcohol means that all readings are lowered anyway and I can finish one of these extended meals with a lower BG than I had when starting. I do see a slightly elevated level for much longer (6-8 hours), but no spikes. You need to find out what your own pattern is.