Struggling so much at the moment

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all okay. I just wanted to chat to you because I'm feeling so overwhelmed with controlling diabetes at the moment, I'm doing all the stuff I should be like testing regularly and injecting with meals etc. but it just doesn't seem to be going right.
I've been diabetic for about 17 years now and I know we all have up and down days, but I just felt like speaking to some people who know how I'm feeling.

I'm finding the mornings and lunchtime readings spiking really high after my meals. I gave my insulin way in advance of my breakfast and even did an extra unit, but still spiked up to 14 at mid morning.
Then after lunch the same thing happened and I spiked to over 17 when it should have been in range.
It's so hard to keep it in control all the time.

Thanks for listening. Have a good weekend.
Jessica

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It does from my perspective seem the harder I try, the worse the results?
Yet, a night out like last night where I could leave it alone with a few checks on my CGM watch & rock in the zone?

It’s the day job where I sometimes struggle. Lol, it would be great if I could do the music full time..

Reactions: EllieM and VashtiB

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry you are finding it tough at the moment.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as an old T2 my experience is very different but for what it's worth these are my thoughts.

The last few years have been very tough on everyone. I think our resilience both emotional and physical has been tested and everyone is feeling that. Stress also factors into our blood sugar levels as well as things like illness and exercise. All of these things have been tested.

I also think- you've been doing it for a long time- no wonder you sometimes feel overwhelmed- it's a lot really.

Be kind to yourself but also post here - some more knowledgeable people will be here soon and they may have some practical suggestions for you.

Take care and a virtual hug .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm finding the mornings and lunchtime readings spiking really high after my meals. I gave my insulin way in advance of my breakfast and even did an extra unit, but still spiked up to 14 at mid morning.
Then after lunch the same thing happened and I spiked to over 17 when it should have been in range.
It's so hard to keep it in control all the time.

Hi @Jelaca I tend to find that as soon as I think I've got my bgs under control then they spike again..... I just have days when it wants to go high. :bigtears:

You just have to try again another day.

I personally find that my insulin needs do vary quite a bit so I need to adjust my basal and insulin ratios (sometimes up, sometimes down). Just a thought, but are you rotating your injection sites properly? If you overuse a site its insulin absorption can become less good/more erratic.... And I also personally find my insulin resistance seems to be a bit higher when my bgs are high, so I need a bit more insulin to get me down.... (Disclaimer, that is me, not necessarily you).

As regards going high in the morning, you may possibly be suffering from foot on the floor or dawn phenomena, where your liver pumps out extra sugar to get you going in the morning. Are you using fingerprick tests or a cgm? A continuous reader can be useful because it lets you know what is happening at night and should tell you whether you are getting dawn phenomena.

My team actually suggested that I might need a pump for this (not keen because I have issues with allergies to sensor sites) but I still manage (just about) on basal/bolus by injecting some extra bolus as soon as I wake (sometimes earlier).

Anyway, be sure that you are not alone. Don't give up. Lots of virtual hugs.

ps Are you able to talk to your team about your issues? Mine do make some helpful suggestions, (which I then tend to modify and do my own thing :)).

Reactions: In Response

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Oh, yes, the same case. I have about the same diabetes experience - 18 years. This morning my BG is 14, although it was 4 at night. So infuriating! Sometimes it seems that my insulin decides for itself how to work today. I injected 10 units and my BG drops to 3, then I injected 9 for the same food and BG rises to 15. I know it's temporary and it's not the first time this has happened, but it's still sad
Screenshot_20220515_091755_com.huawei.photos.png

Attachments

• frUdCUYTn3TPu4mlggUR7pnp-kPmWjzYADeScBkU60WtjyBYiVRxZ4pQfFSq6lBIgtmudT7v6oMRQpaveeLWW8mK.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Niamh1

Hi everyone I have had diabetes for a year and I experience the same thing. sugar levels are really hard to control. My sugar levels tend to go low at night I am on trisba. I really want a pump to make it easier but that is something they are not willing to give.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jelaca I tend to find that as soon as I think I've got my bgs under control then they spike again..... I just have days when it wants to go high. :bigtears:

You just have to try again another day.

I personally find that my insulin needs do vary quite a bit so I need to adjust my basal and insulin ratios (sometimes up, sometimes down). Just a thought, but are you rotating your injection sites properly? If you overuse a site its insulin absorption can become less good/more erratic.... And I also personally find my insulin resistance seems to be a bit higher when my bgs are high, so I need a bit more insulin to get me down.... (Disclaimer, that is me, not necessarily you).

As regards going high in the morning, you may possibly be suffering from foot on the floor or dawn phenomena, where your liver pumps out extra sugar to get you going in the morning. Are you using fingerprick tests or a cgm? A continuous reader can be useful because it lets you know what is happening at night and should tell you whether you are getting dawn phenomena.

My team actually suggested that I might need a pump for this (not keen because I have issues with allergies to sensor sites) but I still manage (just about) on basal/bolus by injecting some extra bolus as soon as I wake (sometimes earlier).

Anyway, be sure that you are not alone. Don't give up. Lots of virtual hugs.

ps Are you able to talk to your team about your issues? Mine do make some helpful suggestions, (which I then tend to modify and do my own thing :)).
Thank you so much for your advice, that’s really helpful I appreciate it!
I don’t feel like I can talk to them about it because they didn’t really seem to listen to me last time I spoke to them, but maybe I can try again :)
I think maybe you’re right, I need to compensate for my BG going high in the morning by maybe doing some extra insulin because it seems to be a pattern.
Thank you again, it’s so nice of you to take the time to respond

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, yes, the same case. I have about the same diabetes experience - 18 years. This morning my BG is 14, although it was 4 at night. So infuriating! Sometimes it seems that my insulin decides for itself how to work today. I injected 10 units and my BG drops to 3, then I injected 9 for the same food and BG rises to 15. I know it's temporary and it's not the first time this has happened, but it's still sad
View attachment 54541
That is exactly how I’m feeling! It’s so frustrating sometimes

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I have had diabetes for a year and I experience the same thing. sugar levels are really hard to control. My sugar levels tend to go low at night I am on trisba. I really want a pump to make it easier but that is something they are not willing to give.
Yes, me too. I really wanted a pump but they said I didn’t qualify. Hopefully you can get one at some point

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, me too. I really wanted a pump but they said I didn’t qualify. Hopefully you can get one at some point

If you're in the UK you should at least now be eligible for a cgm or flash reader, (rules have just changed) so if you haven't got one I suggest you ask when you next go to your clinic.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I get the impression from pumpers on these forums that getting a pump can be a very long drawn out process (assuming you are in the UK) so don't give up. But I also don't think that pumps are a magic bullet, you have to do a lot of work to make one work for you.

Reactions: Jelaca

Niamh1

I get the impression from pumpers on these forums that getting a pump can be a very long drawn out process (assuming you are in the UK) so don't give up. But I also don't think that pumps are a magic bullet, you have to do a lot of work to make one work for you.

Hi Ellie M no you are right that that pump's are not magic however they give you better control