Water weight

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, my diet isn't great...as I struggle to think of foods I would actually like to eat that are low Carb/GI or low calorie. I try my best in the week, but at the weekends I tend to eat white bread, tinned tomato soup and a bit of cake. I always gain a couple of pounds on the Monday. This week, I've only lost 1 of the pounds thus far. I have pcos, I'm on metformin, marvelon (combined pill) and sertraline. Could these be contributing to not losing water weight easily? Or to gaining water weight easily?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, my diet isn't great...as I struggle to think of foods I would actually like to eat that are low Carb/GI or low calorie. I try my best in the week, but at the weekends I tend to eat white bread, tinned tomato soup and a bit of cake. I always gain a couple of pounds on the Monday. This week, I've only lost 1 of the pounds thus far. I have pcos, I'm on metformin, marvelon (combined pill) and sertraline. Could these be contributing to not losing water weight easily? Or to gaining water weight easily?
The most likely explanation is the water retention being due to the carbohydrate consumption. I also find I have water retention if I have tried to walk more than is comfortable for me, especially in warm weather. My feet swell. I deal with this by drinking more water. Though that is a digression from your query.
Check the information in your meds packs to see if water retention is mentioned. However, the clue seems to be that you gain the weight on Mondays following eating high carb at weekends.
This link expains it better…
https://www.livestrong.com/article/309135-can-a-high-carb-diet-cause-you-to-retain-water/