High HBA1c

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had my blood test come back and it's 95 , 6 months ago it was 56 I've lost a stone in weight since my last bloods that were 56 so I was hoping it would be lower this time . They've put me on metformin now . I'm really doing my best this time to bring those numbers down... anxious of those figures

Sent from my SM-G973F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No no other meds and my diet probably over the past 6 months hasn't been that great but not bad either,

Can you be more specific? What is a typical day’s food and drink?
If you have lost weight, and are following low carb regime, perhaps you need more than just Metformin for control.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you be more specific? What is a typical day’s food and drink?
If you have lost weight, and are following low carb regime, perhaps you need more than just Metformin for control.
Mainly 2 eggs on a ryvita with butter, for breakfast coffee with cream .. lunch a ham salad and something similar . For tea maybe omelette or chicken with caulirice . I've cut my bread pasta sweets out this last 2 weeks so nothing . I am under a some stress as mum has terminal cancer and my health hasn't been great so maybe thats a contribution to it I just don't know just started testing again and my finger tests is 7.9 a few hours after lunch

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mainly 2 eggs on a ryvita with butter, for breakfast coffee with cream .. lunch a ham salad and something similar . For tea maybe omelette or chicken with caulirice . I've cut my bread pasta sweets out this last 2 weeks so nothing . I am under a some stress as mum has terminal cancer and my health hasn't been great so maybe thats a contribution to it I just don't know just started testing again and my finger tests is 7.9 a few hours after lunch

Ok, first of all, I am sorry you have the stress of dealing with your mum’s terminal cancer. Is it possible that you are neglecting your own self care? At the very least in your situation I would be testing BG levels regularly. Fasting level, and immediately before, then 2 hours after meals. Keeping a record of those levels, and what you have consumed. I know that is tedious, but you need the information in order to go to GP, and discuss whether you do need different meds. If by diet, and Metformin you are not seeing better control of BG, then it is likely that you will.

That said, I am not without empathy, as I have in the past cared for terminally ill loved ones, and neglected my own health needs. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wish I had thought that carers need to care for themselves, too.

Reactions: maxjoe121

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, first of all, I am sorry you have the stress of dealing with your mum’s terminal cancer. Is it possible that you are neglecting your own self care? At the very least in your situation I would be testing BG levels regularly. Fasting level, and immediately before, then 2 hours after meals. Keeping a record of those levels, and what you have consumed. I know that is tedious, but you need the information in order to go to GP, and discuss whether you do need different meds. If by diet, and Metformin you are not seeing better control of BG, then it is likely that you will.

That said, I am not without empathy, as I have in the past cared for terminally ill loved ones, and neglected my own health needs. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wish I had thought that carers need to care for themselves, too.
Thankyou for your reply amd yes I need to start looking after myself , it really has shocked me those numbers , I have a bad hip which has reduced excersise for me too as I worked outside before the pandemic with all my lovely animals at a kennels, unfortunately I'm not able to do that now so swimming is my go to x

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been testing my bs all day this mid morning after food 2 hours it was 7.5, cup of coffee with cream went to 8.1 an hour later and I haven't eaten for 4 hours amd it's risen to 9 . I just don't get why . I'm confused as I've had no carbs today and lots of water

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been testing my bs all day this mid morning after food 2 hours it was 7.5, cup of coffee with cream went to 8.1 an hour later and I haven't eaten for 4 hours amd it's risen to 9 . I just don't get why . I'm confused as I've had no carbs today and lots of water

I found that my blood glucose went on rising in the morning until I ate - so these days I eat at 12 hour intervals.
I noticed that I am more sensitive to carbs in the morning so divide the daily carbs unevenly, one quarter in the morning and the rest in the evening.

Reactions: maxjoe121