Alternatives to porridge for breakfast?

FairyJan

Hi! I have very recently been told that I need to take action now to halt my increasing blood sugar levels. It currently works for me to have porridge with seeds, nuts and fruit for breakfast, but I am about to be travelling for nearly three weeks in Ireland with a friend. It has occurred to me that this breakfast may not be possible in the various accommodations which as yet are unknown. Any ideas or thoughts please? Jan

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, mushrooms (and a half tomato).
This is what I have in hotels, minus the egg as I've never liked egg at breakfast.

At home instead of oats, which are high carb, I use a mix of milled flaxseed with a little chia seed, then add nuts or other seeds and cinnamon. Cooked with a spoon of coconut milk and water, served with double cream.

I save my one portion of fruit a day to have raspberries with Greek yogurt in the evening.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! I have very recently been told that I need to take action now to halt my increasing blood sugar levels. It currently works for me to have porridge with seeds, nuts and fruit for breakfast, but I am about to be travelling for nearly three weeks in Ireland with a friend. It has occurred to me that this breakfast may not be possible in the various accommodations which as yet are unknown. Any ideas or thoughts please? Jan
Unless Ireland has changed beyond recognition recently you should have no trouble finding porridge for breakfast in hotels and I would guess most B&Bs. Hotels will have fruit etc. - B&Bs, you might have to ask. You should be able to find fruit etc in supermarkets and add it yourself if you have to.

I don't do porridge anymore but the fried breakfasts are legendary. Not unusual to have four or five types of fried bread available....

Reactions: jos64

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Jan. It would be helpful to know what type of diabetes you have and what, if any, medication you are on. Your current preferred breakfast is very high in carbohydrate and having more information will allow for more appropriate responses.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
vegetables, eggs, meat, fish, cheese - there are practically no carbs in all this and it's quite tasty

FairyJan

A cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, mushrooms (and a half tomato).
This is what I have in hotels, minus the egg as I've never liked egg at breakfast.

At home instead of oats, which are high carb, I use a mix of milled flaxseed with a little chia seed, then add nuts or other seeds and cinnamon. Cooked with a spoon of coconut milk and water, served with double cream.

I save my one portion of fruit a day to have raspberries with Greek yogurt in the evening.

FairyJan

Unless Ireland has changed beyond recognition recently you should have no trouble finding porridge for breakfast in hotels and I would guess most B&Bs. Hotels will have fruit etc. - B&Bs, you might have to ask. You should be able to find fruit etc in supermarkets and add it yourself if you have to.

I don't do porridge anymore but the fried breakfasts are legendary. Not unusual to have four or five types of fried bread available....

FairyJan

Oh! Well, I have not had a diagnosis from the doctors of Type 2 diabetes. The concern has come from my nutritionist, who said if I am not able to lower my sugar through diet, stress level and exercise, I will need medication. Porridge with various things like chia seeds, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds helped with my cholesterol, so now I am confused. I hadn't even checked my post breakfast number. Today I did. My memory was that I should test after 1 hour, which was 8.9! I then checked what I had been advised here, and it was 2 hours after "bad food". That was 4.4.

FairyJan

Oh! Well, I have not had a diagnosis from the doctors of Type 2 diabetes. The concern has come from my nutritionist, who said if I am not able to lower my sugar through diet, stress level and exercise, I will need medication. Porridge with various things like chia seeds, flaxseed, pumpkin seeds helped with my cholesterol, so now I am confused. I hadn't even checked my post breakfast number. Today I did. My memory was that I should test after 1 hour, which was 8.9! I then checked what I had been advised here, and it was 2 hours after "bad food". That was 4.4.

FairyJan

FairyJan

It seems that my sugar level problem is genetic as my father had what they called "late onset" and his father seemed to have had diabetes in the 1930s or 40s, by the stories of what they called "The sinkers".

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Remembering that this is a one off result: a higher blood glucose at one hour after a high carbohydrate meal is a normal response. At two hours your blood glucose had returned to normal. It would be interesting to see what your blood glucose levels is after one hour if you had a low carbohydrate breakfast e.g. an omelette. If you look at the information on blood sugar level ranges on this website you may feel more reassured.

Last edited:

FairyJan

Remembering that this is a one off result: a higher blood glucose at one hour after a high carbohydrate meal is a normal response. At two hours your blood glucose had returned to normal. It would be interesting to see what your blood glucose levels is after one hour if you had a low carbohydrate breakfast e.g. an omelette. If you look at the information on blood sugar level ranges on this website you may feel more reassured.
Thank you Dr Snoddy! I am experimenting! Lots to learn. I will definitely look at the information about sugar levels on this site.
I'm a bit confused about porridge/oatmeal. First I read it is good because it is a complex carb, then I've read it is not good because it's a carb. Perhaps I should change to steel cut.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
What has your nutritionist said about your blood glucose levels?