Which course???

Squeebo84

Hi all, ive been planning on going on a course for helping me understand my diabetes once again.
The last time time i was given advice properly (rather than my doctors looking at me vacantly and saying "so how can we help you get this under control?") was about 24 years ago when i was first diagnosed with t1.
I feel that this advice is ptobably very dated now and after reading a few forum discussion i feel overwhelmed!!
Ive seen three courses that stand out and they are
Dafne
Bertie
Desmond.
Im just wondering if anyone has done these courses and if they helped at all??
Are there other courses youd recommend?
Any advice would be welcomed
Thanks you in advance.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Desmond is for type 2 diabetics. The other two are for type 1s but being a type 2 I don’t know which is better. I’m sure some type 1s will come along and comment further.

Reactions: Squeebo84

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that different CCGs give their Type 1 courses different names. DAFNE is the most common. My CCG calls it Freedom 4 Life and Bournemouth CCG calls it Bertie and makes it available online.
If you want to go on a course (which I would recommend as they do change over the years) is to talk to your diabetes team (or DSN) and ask what is available in your area. If they do not offer anything, Bertie online is a popular self paced option. Unfortunately, you miss out on the discussion with others with Type 1 which I found the most useful (and eye opening) when I attended my Freedom 4 Life course.

Squeebo84

My understanding is that different CCGs give their Type 1 courses different names. DAFNE is the most common. My CCG calls it Freedom 4 Life and Bournemouth CCG calls it Bertie and makes it available online.
If you want to go on a course (which I would recommend as they do change over the years) is to talk to your diabetes team (or DSN) and ask what is available in your area. If they do not offer anything, Bertie online is a popular self paced option. Unfortunately, you miss out on the discussion with others with Type 1 which I found the most useful (and eye opening) when I attended my Freedom 4 Life course.
I was offered the dafne course a few years back but was self employed and couldnt afford the week off they said i woulf need to attend the course, however my new employers are a biy more understanding and i would get paud for attending this now so thats probably my best option then. I am a type 1 and think its time i got this diabetes thing under controll now lol

RoughcutAU

Hi Squeebo84

I did DAFNE last month and found meeting others and the shared experiences/stories to be the most helpful part.

I’m abit of nerd so already was on top of most of the content but still found it useful. The approach can be quite rigid and doesn’t suit everybody - try to remember you know your body better then anyone else.

Squeebo84

Roughcutau thanks for the reply.
How do you mean the approach can be quit rigid?
Is it a strict regime or way of thinking??

RoughcutAU

Roughcutau thanks for the reply.
How do you mean the approach can be quit rigid?
Is it a strict regime or way of thinking??

Rigid is probably more to do with”rules” and “guidelines”. It is quite structured which suits me but others do find it constrictive.

Eg DAFNE says not to go to bed with a BGL less then 6 (so if your BGL is less then that then you have to eat something with carbs in it). My personal experience having T1D for almost a year means i’m quite comfortable going to bed with a high 4 or 5 knowing full well by morning it will have probably risen by upto 2mmol.

Reactions: Yaya10_10