Anyone on the Ascend Plus trial?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought aid start a discussion here for anyone on the Ascend Plus trial by Oxford University.

Started my “Run In” phase yesterday and so far so good. No side affects other than fatigue. How are other folks doing?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds interesting but I’ve never heard of it? Would you be able to give more detail on what it is and what it entails or post a link about it? Think it would be helpful to other members to know more about it :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: filly

Aewboots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I’ve started that as well . Into my sixth week and had a few problems with tummy issues . But I’m working on them .

NormaS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am about to start. Any advice on what you are doing to cut down tummy trouble?

Applecore1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I just registered on the site, came here looking for people’s experience of Semaglutide as I started the ascend plus trial.
Only day 8 for me at present but decided to make The most of this by starting changes to my diet - as I appreciate that it is not a miracle drug but if used properly it might help your own efforts. So far that is definitely the case, whilst I usually obsess about food and have a problem with snacking and sticking to my plan I am finding this week has been different - feels a lot easier this time, early days but I am hopeful that I can stick to my plan longer this time and achieve some results.
I have had some side effects, I think I describe it as queezy and rather than nauseous, some light headedness, feeling a bit tired, burping a lot.
I have found in last couple of days that ginger tea and occasional sip of non alcoholic ginger wine is helping.

• Informative

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Would you get the same side effects on the tablet as you do the injectable?

Applecore1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not sure but from the forums I have read it seems that there is similarity. The difference is rather the individuals response and not so much the way it is taken. I think there is a belief ‘out there’ that injection is better - not sure of the evidence.
I think it comes down to what you want to achieve as a lot of the forums are based on people who just want to lose weight rapidly (not necessarily people with diabetes or high bmi) which for all sorts of reasons/effects is not a great way to lose weight. Also they are probably biased towards people who write on them because they are having problems or rapid weight loss, I would think the vast majority that don’t have problems are not as motivated to post on those forums so it is hard to tell.

I have found in my first week that my queeziness is spread throughout the day and seems more related to my intake than when I have taken the tablet. Now on day 12 and finding I am getting used to things and more used to what I have to do, what I can tolerate and what I can’t.

The biggest forum of users I have found is on mumsnet but there are practices being described on there that frighten the life out of me ( I was a nurse so probably have a more healthy regard for drugs) I recommend it in terms of the wealth of information about side effects and some useful tips on how to handle them but I think there are a considerable number of people posting who are putting themselves at risk. So look with caution.

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I have registered to do this trial. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to receive the tablets after registering. I have received the booklets giving info etc but wondered when I will get started on the tablets. Thanks for your help.

Applecore1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I have registered to do this trial. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to receive the tablets after registering. I have received the booklets giving info etc but wondered when I will get started on the tablets. Thanks for your help.
I think it was about 2 weeks

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got an invite today and am carefully considering it. I have a BMI of 22 so not interested in losing weight but I do struggle to control blood sugar due to a chaotic lifestyle. Also have Gastro problems in the form of severe Ulcerative Colitis, so the stories of stomach problems are giving me concern.
How long did the side effects last for you all?
Thanks

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m one month in to the randomisation phase now and convinced I’m on the placebo. All my side effects (nausea mainly) being in the run in of Semaglutide have stopped. The down side is there has been quite an upsurge in my BG levels. Now true, this has coincided with a little more indulgence over Xmas but I’m surprise by how much of a difference it has made especially to my morning levels. I clearly lost some weight on the drug but pleased today no weight gain since being on this “placebo”.

Anyone else on this and at the Randomisation phase?

• Agree
Reactions: Diane60 and filly

Applecore1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not yet, just started my second bottle of 7mg.
I’m expecting someone to make contact soon prior to randomisation

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I am now on third bottle. 7 mgs semaglutide. Nearly finished.
Box of the proper trial just arrived. Boxes says semaglutide or placebo.
I have been ok no real problems.
This new 6 month box should be interesting.

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my starter packs today. This will be interesting to see how they work.

Lynn T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am now on third bottle. 7 mgs semaglutide. Nearly finished.
Box of the proper trial just arrived. Boxes says semaglutide or placebo.
I have been ok no real problems.
This new 6 month box should be interesting.
Hi. Have you lost any weight using these?

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, now on the first bottle of semaglutide/placebo.
feel sick and burping like crazy.
Can't see it is the Placebo. Been 6 days now.