newly diagnosed type 1 from ?type 2

jessie01

well just had a call from hospital to say my bloods have tested positve for some antibody they look for,, to do with your pancreas which has diagnosed me as a type 1.... have for the past couple of months been on medication as a type 2 possibly type 1,,,,, he said he wants me to go onto insulin.

very mixed feelins,,,, what will really change as a result of being diagnosed a type 1? :(

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Me too ! I' m 46 so they were sure I was type 2 but told yesterday I am type 1 and on insulin. I only found out I had diabetes at all on 2nd Jan so been a bad week really ! Hopefully things will turn out fine for us both ! Good luck !

Spirit of Eden

I avoided going on to insulin for quite a while, but having switched earlier this year it has been very positive for me.

To be honest I prefer taking insulin. I feel less "ill" somehow. I dont have any of the side effects I had with type 2 meds, but I do have occasional "hypos". Something which i'm sure will be explained to you.

I appreciate this is all coming at you very fast. My only "advice" would be to keep asking questions, very specific questions if you can. With insulin you have the tools you need to look after yourself the key to success though is knowledge.

All the best

Bergkamp24

Hi there,

I think Jessie01 you are getting confused with your HBA1C results. The lower the % the better, therefore your readings are going the wrong way! - 12% is nowehere near as good as 6%...just saying, know your facts.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've noticed that a lot of T2 diagnoses are done on the assumption that adults are usually T2.
However if you are a T1, there's ultimaately no alternative to insulin. You are unusual in being investigated so soon after an initial diagnosis of diabetes. So often the medics don't look further until faced with a crisis. Your doctor is on the ball!
If you feel you'd like to read up on the subject of controlling T1 on minimal insulin, I'd recommend Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.
My edition is a few years old and bought in the USA. I'm not even sure if there is a British Edition. However, it's easy to learn to convert the units.
I am a T2, but got my experience of T1 from living with my husband, who was diagnosed T1 in his late 20s, some years after we were married.
He has certainly benefitted from exposure to Bernstein's way of thinking.
Hana

GlazedDoughnuts

jessie01 said:
very mixed feelins,,,, what will really change as a result of being diagnosed a type 1? :(

You'll need Insulin.
You'll have to notify the DVLA.
Managing your diabetes will be easier as you're able to inject Insulin.
You will be able to eat whatever you want in moderation, as long as you take your Insulin.
You must keep an eye on your blood sugar levels to ensure you're not having a hypo...

I originally was diagnosed as a Type 2 and given a bunch of Metformin, trying to control my blood sugars without a low carb diet was impossible, even then my morning numbers were not that great.

Since being on Insulin I can eat whatever I want (within moderation), I exercise regularly and now diabetes takes a seat way in the back, where it should be. Never place diabetes on a pedestal.

Reactions: 2 people

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Trying to get a dive medical.
I have my hospital appointment tomorrow and looking forward to going on insulin. I am completely fed up with the tiredness hunger and readings of 9.9 when starving! and 13 - 14 in the morning after not eating for 10 hours.
Insulin - bring it on! and give me my life back.

Currently type 2
Male 53 reasonably fit and fast.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
welcome to the type 1 club,
i was thought to be type 2 when diagnosed but got very ill over a week and ended up in hospital, in my opinion im glad its type 1 i have as i get to be more in control, no worries about test strips, being able to eat better(although im still very good) , it isnt as bad as it sounds honestly;)

Reactions: 3 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I think Jessie01 you are getting confused with your HBA1C results. The lower the % the better, therefore your readings are going the wrong way! - 12% is nowehere near as good as 6%...just saying, know your facts.
You have misread the HBA1C results it's Dec 12 - 7.9% as opposed to the Nov 8.3%.