Is marijuana good for diabetes?

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
I read so many articles saying that marijuana can actually improve the health of diabetics. Is this for real?

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
oakdaledave said:
Hmmmm not sure about that. Think you may end up with another problem! :( :(

Thank you for the reply, oakdaledave. :) Do you have any reference to your statement? Do you mind sending me a link or something? :) Because I'm trying to weigh things out. I've been doing a lot of research and 98% of the articles I've read said marijuana is actually beneficial for diabetes (and other diseases). I'd like to think so, too, because it's organic.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't take it.
Makes me laugh uncontrollably.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's supposed to benefit a variety of diseases. Problem arises when "the munchies" set in lol !

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
mo1905 said:
It's supposed to benefit a variety of diseases. Problem arises when "the munchies" set in lol !

Good point. And I don't understand why this is funny. I'm seriously asking. Hehehe.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
And my tongue in cheek remark did have a sort of serious side. I know MS sufferers are said to benefit but I guessed it was just a bit of pain relief and a "break" from the illness. As far as actual treatment, I've never heard this. Only as a reliever of symptoms. The "munchies" remark is actually a serious factor to consider. Could cause many problems.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
mo1905 said:
And my tongue in cheek remark did have a sort of serious side. I know MS sufferers are said to benefit but I guessed it was just a bit of pain relief and a "break" from the illness. As far as actual treatment, I've never heard this. Only as a reliever of symptoms. The "munchies" remark is actually a serious factor to consider. Could cause many problems.

You have a very good point. I can't believe I never thought of it like that. Now my whole perspective's changed. Thanks for taking my question seriously. :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
no stay away from it, its evil......send how ever much you have left to me ill dispose of it safely for you, you will thank me for it one day... but then I probly wont care that you did :)

Reactions: 2 people

foreverdelayed

Yes it is good for slowing the progression of retinopathy by decreasing eye pressure, works as a neuro protector, rounds off spikes, if inhaled it works as a bronchial dilator increasing oxygen intake, boosts melatonin production, protects the kidneys from damage, can act as an anti-depressant and yes the munchies can be an issue but not only is that strain dependant it us also a temporary side affect which wears off in time. See my other posts for more detailed arguments. I would however state that I do not encourage the use of illegal drugs but I would encourage you to look at the evidence and question the reasons for prohibition. And feel free to make decisions based on your feelings not based on biased laws designed to benefit certain individuals or industries.

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not that I dispute anything foreverdelayed has posted, I would just like to add that for all the advantages, there are many disadvantages and dangers. I'm not trying to judge, I've tried it. Don't use it now but whatever floats your boat !
It's certainly no worse than cigarettes or alcohol in my opinion ! I still think it is more to alleviate symptoms than to actually treat an illness.

LittleWolf

foreverdelayed said:
Yes it is good for slowing the progression of retinopathy by decreasing eye pressure, works as a neuro protector, rounds off spikes, if inhaled it works as a bronchial dilator increasing oxygen intake, boosts melatonin production, protects the kidneys from damage, can act as an anti-depressant and yes the munchies can be an issue but not only is that strain dependant it us also a temporary side affect which wears off in time. See my other posts for more detailed arguments. I would however state that I do not encourage the use of illegal drugs but I would encourage you to look at the evidence and question the reasons for prohibition. And feel free to make decisions based on your feelings not based on biased laws designed to benefit certain individuals or industries.

This ^

When I gave up cigarettes and started smoking cannabis I stopped self harming, took up a lot if activities, stared eating (I kind if needed the munches as an anorexic), I can sleep at night and have less headaches. Most painkillers make me really sick and I have a lot of muscle aches etc so works for me.

Also knowledge of what strains work best for your body and symptoms is really important. Most recreational users and those where it's not legal often haven't a clue what they're smoking/vaping/eating :/

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
mo1905 said:
Safest way to get rid of it is to burn it I heard ;-)

Hahaha! You just made my day. I'm going to try and see how it works for me. I'm guessing... If you won't give in to the munchies then I it'd be more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
foreverdelayed said:

Oh I love how you said certain INDUSTRIES. Very true. I'll see how it works for me. **** munchies.

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
LittleWolf said:
foreverdelayed said:

This ^

When I gave up cigarettes and started smoking cannabis I stopped self harming, took up a lot if activities, stared eating (I kind if needed the munches as an anorexic), I can sleep at night and have less headaches. Most painkillers make me really sick and I have a lot of muscle aches etc so works for me.

Also knowledge of what strains work best for your body and symptoms is really important. Most recreational users and those where it's not legal often haven't a clue what they're smoking/vaping/eating :/

It actually works the same for me. It helps a lot with my frequent bouts of nausea and vomiting. Works every time. I always throw up (not that I'm bulemic) so everything I eat (especially in the morning) usually gets flushed. That's why I'm a little underweight for my height. Pot improves my appetite, but I still watch what I eat. I guess as long as we're careful with the use and not overdo it, it's totally fine.

LittleWolf

Yep. The thing about the appetite stimulation is that junk food is easy to reach for but to be honest, when I'm high everything tastes good, including healthier choices that would usually seem too bland. I second that it's fantastic for nausea. The anti-nausea pills they gave me at the hospital actually make me vomit more XD

The bottom line is to be sensible with it, as with any other substance we choose to put into out bodies.

Also, different strains have differing levels of cannabinoids. The main ones are THC, CBD and CBN. THC is more often associated with triggering mental illness in *large* and *frequent* doses and has more of a cerebral effect conducive to recreational use whereas CBD-heavy indica based strains are not as 'fun' but are going to be what helps with pain, insomnia, anxiety etc.

I wish there was a dispensary in this country. I often have to wait a good few weeks until the stains that work best for me are available.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
LittleWolf said:
Yep. The thing about the appetite stimulation is that junk food is easy to reach for but to be honest, when I'm high everything tastes good, including healthier choices that would usually seem too bland. I second that it's fantastic for nausea. The anti-nausea pills they gave me at the hospital actually make me vomit more XD

The bottom line is to be sensible with it, as with any other substance we choose to put into out bodies.

Also, different strains have differing levels of cannabinoids. The main ones are THC, CBD and CBN. THC is more often associated with triggering mental illness in *large* and *frequent* doses and has more of a cerebral effect conducive to recreational use whereas CBD-heavy indica based strains are not as 'fun' but are going to be what helps with pain, insomnia, anxiety etc.

I wish there was a dispensary in this country. I often have to wait a good few weeks until the stains that work best for me are available.

I'd be willing to bet that it'll be legal in the UK to some extent within the next 15 years. Perhaps under a similar system to California, where it's available if you get a medical card from a doctor. The great thing about the system they have is that once you have the medical card, you'll be prescribed a strain of cannabis that suits your condition. So hypothetically, let's say you were prescribed cannabis to help control your blood glucose: you'd have an expert at the dispensary that will pick out the strain that is least likely to give you 'the munchies' and will instruct you on how to ingest the medicine safely (vapourising or cooking, for example). It'd be interesting to see it trialed in this country on a very limited basis to begin with, perhaps just for chemotherapy patients to help combat nausea or something similar.

I just *really* don't believe cannabis deserves the bad reputation it has. That's just my opinion though, and I don't mean to come across like some kind of pro-cannabis campaigner :lol:

foreverdelayed

I personally feel that although I would support any move towards medical marijuana, the UK will probably drag its heels like no one else due to the "keep the masses happy" attitude of our governments. In other words, no one in politics has the balls. I feel that its a matter of public health rather than a political one and until such matters are taken out the hands of lawmakers, their reputations will always get in the way.
Giverny is right though, it doesn't nearly deserve its taboo.

Watch the breakthetaboo video on YouTube. The global impact of prohibition is frightening.