Is marijuana good for diabetes?

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I took it. Fell off a cliff at Crank Caverns. Didn't feel a thing .

Ask your diabetic nurse I am sure she would love to answer that one haha.

Also im sure it will add to the funny looks you recieve when injecting in public. "Oh dont look now but that boy who stinks of weed he is now injecting" haha

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

foreverdelayed

Mr Happy said:
I considered marijuana once but decided I looked terrible in a tracksuit and Nike Air's..

This is what I mean when I talk about stereotypes. Suppose that everyone who drinks alcohol has a beard and fingerless gloves, everyone who smokes tobacco has yellow teeth and hair and everyone who eats chocolate is fat. Sorry sir but your post just screams small mindedness

Mr Happy

Apologies for basing my stereotypes on fact, drugs account for a ridiculous percentage of crime in this country and is a favourite pass time of those currently 'seeking' employment...

foreverdelayed

Most people I know who smoke have university degrees, families, businesses. I'm not doubting that unemployed people smoke too but its not confined, its just what the media have led you to believe. And I've never known or heard of anyone committing a crime for some weed. Heroin, crack, alcohol - yes. And most crime I see stems from organised gangs and the law is perfect for them to exploit. That's why regulation would improve a horrible situation. If someone wants to take drugs, they will, but they could be taking anything. At least with regulation you cut the risk factor and open up counselling and advice. Saying " drugs are bad m'kay" is just burying your head in the sand. I urge you to do some research on cannabis from cited sources before you start generalising.

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes! Very good.

Dont smoke it with tobacco though!It can be be inhaled through a vaporiser or eaten or infused in a drink.
It seems to lessen the number of extreme high and low blood sugar readings.
It also seems to aid gastroparethisis (apologies if misspelled) which is completely debilitating. It is a condition where the stomach nerves dont work so well and causesnthe stomach to hold the food you eat for hours. So instead of digestion, you get fermentation. It is horrible, and there is no treatment or cure. THC in the plant seems to ease this.
Well i suppose the element of the plant that causes "the munchies" is good for any eating disorder.

There are no real reasons as to why it was made illegal in the first place.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I would be willing to take part in any smokin' the big fella research and pass on my experiences !

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
alex_dgarcia said:
I've been doing a lot of research and 98% of the articles I've read said marijuana is actually beneficial for diabetes (and other diseases). I'd like to think so, too, because it's organic.

Organic? Um, so is hemlock and deadly nightshade.

foreverdelayed

I tend to agree that organic isn't really an argument, the commercial stuffs been cross bred to have certain traits and would differ greatly both in affects and appearance to landrace strains. Its cannabanoids and their effects on our endocannabanoid system that's the intriguing part. It works like a key in a lock and influences various regulatory systems in the body from lipid expression to circadian rhythms. Its clear that at very least, compounds and extracts from the plant could have benefits for us all.
Its just been pigeon holed as a negative with a social stigma for decades without proper research or socioeconomic study.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thommothebear said:
alex_dgarcia said:
I've been doing a lot of research and 98% of the articles I've read said marijuana is actually beneficial for diabetes (and other diseases). I'd like to think so, too, because it's organic.

Organic? Um, so is hemlock and deadly nightshade.

The humble potato is a member of the Deadly Nightshade family.

foreverdelayed

Thats where ive been going wrong! Let's all base policy and social impact on that valuable and certainty not sensationalised resource-Traffic cops. And further to that highly educated post, let's put limiters on cars cos everyone drives fast and every police officer is called wiggo or Dave.

LittleWolf

I've seen that one and also recommend 'The Union'

I personally don't believe anyone should be left to openly use/buy/sell EVERY drug (BTT seems to be more generally against all prohibition) but definitely think drug use should be a healthcare issue not a criminal issue. Those abusing drugs with a lot of problems need those root problems addressed or their use reviewed instead of being locked up, the same way I believe sensible old ladies with glaucoma ought to be left to toke in peace

It's just mind-boggling when cannabis is illegal but opiate-based painkillers, the kind that many people become addicted to a die from using, are perfectly ok and easy to obtain

I was given a bunch for endometriosis pain (and an IUD that had perforated me which they MISSED on the ultrasound) and I've only ever felt so disgustingly sick having a hypo. Every time I am in hospital they do not listen and give me these painkillers, I've had morphine IV and it is not easy to run to the bathroom to throw up If you are in pain still and there is an equally painful cannula in your arm. Codeine at the recommended dose has made me throw up blood, which no one seemed concerned by at all... Having chronic pain is also an issue as those are not drugs you want to use long term.

Why is that OK but one of my doctors thinks I'm a dirty crack ***** for having half a joint when I'm in crippling pain?

stanno69

Don't listen to those who support unprescribed Class A drugs. Marijuana destroys brain cells and you have a higher risk of developing lung cancer than a tobacco smoker

foreverdelayed

Marijuana is not a class A drug. There is no evidence that it destroys brain cells, evidence is actually to the contrary. Further to your point on lung cancer, evidence shows that those who smoke cannabis with tobacco actually have a lower risk of getting lung cancer than those who smoke just tobacco. Head and neck cancer risk is reduced by 61% also. Keep em coming!