800 cals Real food or shakes?

ellibobs

I have been reading up on the Newcastle diet but can't find anyone who has restricted calories using "real food" does it have to be using shakes as a food supplement?

sparkyrich

As I understand it, the shakes contain the minerals and nutrients that may be missing from a restricted diet. Not everyone has the knowledge to ensure they are getting everything they need.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ellibobs said:
I have been reading up on the Newcastle diet but can't find anyone who has restricted calories using "real food" does it have to be using shakes as a food supplement?

"The essential point is that substantial weight loss must be achieved. The time course of weight loss is much less important."

Have a look at Roy Taylor's FAQ: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... dy_000.pdf on the Reversing Diabetes web page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... versal.htm

The crash diet was to mimmick the effects of baryatric surgery but slower diets are recommended:

"Previous research has shown that steady weight loss over a 5 – 6 month period is more likely to be successful in keeping weight down in the long term. For this reason, I would not recommend a very low calorie diet initially for most people with type 2 diabetes."

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm sure that an 800 cal real food diet would work, but it would be difficult to plan. You'd need to keep the veggies very varied .
Hana

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can't claim to have done an 800 calorie diet, as my target was 800 to 1200 a day.
This was due to a commitment to work, and advice from the gym club not to severely restrict my diet when exercising.

But the base target was 200 calories for breakfast, 200 for lunch, 400 in the evening.

Ryvita for breakfast, with a bit of reduced fat cheese and maybe ham, or with cottage cheese.

Lunch was a salad, a lot of mixed green leaf, and usual salad type things such as red pepper, onion, maybe a tomato.

Dinner was salad, helped by the hot summer, or some form of beans, and a lot of kale. Mushrooms as well.
Chicken and fish for the meat when I had some.
The odd "snack" was a cherry tomato, if I had gone low after exercise,
Checking my levels very regularly was important.

So, minimal carbs, zero fat, apart from the cheese, and probably the best tip from my dietician was "a rainbow of colours" which does give a good mix to keep all the minerals and nutrients in there.
The other thing I found was flavour was important, so spices in cooked food, fresh herbs, like basil, coriander, oregano, then rocket, cress, all helped in salads.

All small portions, so I can't say I wasn't hungry, but then again, I always was, (which is why I need to lose weight now).

I believe the shakes were used for patients who couldn't eat solids after surgery, but the original diet was designed to wean people off food, then reintroduce good food.

I think I've managed the same lifestyle change, I don't eat bad food anymore, and do tend to keep smaller portions, a lot of veg,

I kept to it, I've lost over 2 and a half stone, my HBA1C is 4.6%, from 6.4%, and my weight is still going down I'm pleased to say.

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ douglas99

Eating better, rather than less, makes a big difference. Simply cutting out obvious sugar and obvious fat is a massive saving for some people like me. Being careful with the types of carbs and then eating slightly less, is another level of the diet. The main benefit though is that when the weight target is achieved, you've learned a lot about what foods work and what foods don't work for you. I've also found out that, if I eat a good tasty nutritious meal, I now don't have a need for a sugary bun with a filling. I'm sure, in my case, all the sweet sugary or creamy stuff that I ate was because the main meals were simply not satisfying.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess that is an appropriate amount of calories and can be taken,If something is moderated there is nothing bad in that.Glad that you have posted it here surely it can help us in maintaining what we eat.
I have two 200 cal slimfasts a day, I make up it to 800 calories with (non starch) vegetable soups and sometimes salads. Soup works well, you can make a very filling soup with cabbage, carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes - with plenty of spices. If I want a lot of soup and am not doing a lot that day, I cut down to one slimfast.

raheela

i want to go on the diet,but if i take my metformin my blood sugar levels fall and i have to eat,will i have to go off the metformin to diet.advice please

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I have been eating 600 / 700 calories a day for the last 6 weeks and am due to have my HbA1c this week. I tried the drinks but didn't like them so have been having homemade soup for lunch and then something like white fish or lean chicken and veg for supper. I sometimes allow myself a few more calories as I have been doing 1 hour on my cycle machine, which usually burns off around 500 calories, and 1 hour of walking the dog a day. I must confess to not eating breakfast as I start work at 7am and can't face food at 6.30am! I have lost 17lbs so far and don't really want to lose any more - I just want to see what effect it has on my levels!

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I forgot to add that I take Metformin sr and have continued to do so and have not suffered any lows.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ douglas99

Eating better, rather than less, makes a big difference. Simply cutting out obvious sugar and obvious fat is a massive saving for some people like me. Being careful with the types of carbs and then eating slightly less, is another level of the diet. The main benefit though is that when the weight target is achieved, you've learned a lot about what foods work and what foods don't work for you. I've also found out that, if I eat a good tasty nutritious meal, I now don't have a need for a sugary bun with a filling. I'm sure, in my case, all the sweet sugary or creamy stuff that I ate was because the main meals were simply not satisfying.

This is an old thread but I must agree with Yorksman on this. How many of these slimming drink diets work in the long term? None, I bet. Diabetics need to lose weight and then maintain that weight forever. It is the maintenance that is difficult, and this can only be achieved by sensible eating from the start. Slowly does it .... 2lbs a week is the ideal amount to lose by cutting out the obvious culprits, eating less, watching calories but not to extremes. That way you can train your stomach and brain to want less food and won't be hungry and therefore tempted to return to old habits.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what medicines are you taking for diabetes,did you continue medications while on diet
I downloaded a guide from the Diabetes Team at St Johns Hospital. It says that you can do the Newcastle Diet if you are metformin but not if you are injecting insulin. I am not on metformin, just bp control tabs ramipril & bisoprol. The diet recommends 3 shakes per day 200ml of veg soup ( non starch only - no spuds, fruit, beans). I have adjusted mine because I've become Souperman - my cabbage & tomato soup with lots of cayenne, paprika etc. the base of any good soup is comprised chopped onion, chopped celery & chopped carrots sweated slowly at first in 1 cal, then 2 tins of copped tomatoes a litre of water + 3 or 4 stocks. It's so nice I miss a shake and have extra soup instead. You can also add some fresh bean sprouts at the last minute. My wife who is not on the diet pours the soup over some spuds and sprinkles some crispy bacon lardons. That way we can eat almost the same meal. On the weekends I cut down to 1 slimfast shake and have a salad as well. I'm on week 6 and have lost 23lbs. I feel good, maybe a bit tired. But one warning your insides really play up after the first week, that lasts a few days - but it's settled down now. My doctor was all for it, but the diabetes nurse at our practice pooh poohs the diet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello,
If you are in the mind of taking calories from food supplement and real food is a organic source of having calories but as compare to artificial supplement they are quite slow effective....

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a few cases of people using real food in this article:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

Watch the video about Carlos Cervantes included in the article.

I think I'd want to be taking a really good multivitamin or have some other method of ensuring adequate intake for RDIs if undertaking a real food version of it, especially you've been eating a bad diet beforehand - who knows what nutritional deficiencies you might already have going on?