Loss of appetite since diagnosis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone experienced totally losing their appetite since diagnosis? Initially was at the doctors for gastroenteritis then a UTI then the diabetes diagnosis was thrown in the mix. Started controlling my levels immediately by changing my diet but I have to force myself to eat. I was always ravenous before diagnosis. I have lost about a stone and a half in seven weeks. I have no interest in food and eat because I have to. My usual day is porridge for breakfast, fish salad for lunch and meat and veg for tea with few snacks. I don't know if its depression or gastroparesis (I feel nauseous when I wake up). This and all my other aches and pains are getting me down. Not on media yet. Only had a couple of diabetes related appointments so far.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in your replies. I have an increasing loss of appetite and morning nausea since diagnosis. Initially I thought it was metformin, but I swapped around the timing of my meds and still get the morning nasuea.

Pompeygirl

I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago t2 and on metformin. I had no appetite at all until the past couple of days and have lost about a stone and a half. People tell me thats the metformin as it had that effect. I feel very good on it though although i do think it left me feeling a little sick when i increased dosage bug thats settled now. I have to be careful with drinking coz i font seem to get thirsty eithet

armutalan1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
RE Loss of Appetite

Just browsing on here and noticed your posting i was diagnosed with T 2 at the end of July, was reluctant to take any more medication as I have high Blood Pressure and and cholesterol, however eased myself into the metformin and now take 2 twice a day morning with breakfast and around 18.00 with evening meal.

I noticed my appetite waning almost right away and cut down my plate size , sometimes having to eat something just for eating sake. I try and eat breakfast , then its down to finding something that tempts my taste buds. I cook for hubby too and don't always fancy what i have cooked. I have lost about 1st 2lb which I am pleased about and hope I can lose a bit more. however it is worrying that I have just gone off food, bread and potato I always loved but find I just don't fancy them now. I have never liked fish and only eat small amounts of meat, I guess Im really picky but I am struggling to find things I can eat and actually fancy.

Im glad its not just me that has this side effect and will keep looking on here for food ideas.

What about tired legs any one else got that side effect?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin can reduce your appetite; it was once considered as a candidate as a diet drug because of this! It does give some, e.g. me, a metallic taste which can last many weeks. If anyone has nausea or bowel problems with Met they should ask the GP for the SR (Slow Release) version.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it must be the metformin. I'm on the same dose, was diagnosed at the end of july too and I'm going through the same food issues.
It's a right pain because even when I do fancy something, by the time I've prepared it I've totally gone off the idea.
I'm seeing my DSN on Tuesday and I'm going to ask for her advice.

Haven't noticed the achey legs... But then I've been doing lots of jogging, so they do generally ache a bit more than normal.

Tattyhead91

Me too. For a month I was normal on Metformin then this week no appetite at all. I even threw away half my salad at lunchtime which is quite unheard of for me!

Glad to see it's an expected reaction :) and whilst the lbs are dropping off i shall enjoy it :D

DanielBail

This post gives me hope as at the least I know im not the only one iv been type 1 for a couple months on nova rapid and levimeer and have no apitite iv lost soo soo muh weight. I got upto 10 stone not long after diagnosis and was happy Im now pretty skelital and 7 stone ish. My legs ache soo soo bad 24\7 and have to take 2 amatripalin at night just to sleep. My feet burn after verry little exersize too.monday my mum has decided to invite herself along to my doc apointment cos she has had enough of me being in tears and the docs doing nothing im 25 with no life and if sumthing doesnt change soon I dont know how much more I can take. This is no life worth living

Netty70

Hi
Glad your mum is going with you I would if it was my daughter
We see things from a different angle and I would support my child 100% and make sure the doc new it I am bossy lol
Hope you get sorted that's a lot of weight to lose I lost weight that I didn't need to but am trying to put it back on
Please don't feel there's no way out tell the doc how you feel and if they don't listen tell them again your health is worth more than anything
Good luck

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DanielBail said:
Yeah tomorrow is me at the end of my teather. Iv spent more days in bed than at work lately. I dont have a life and every days a struggle I just cant do this anymore

Hey Daniel, I'm 25 and have no life too! Diabetes led to me having a complete breakdown and I couldn't continue my work, studies, or (tiny) social life.

Having a rest from everything did me good, but I also realised a few things. Diabetes takes up time, energy and headspace. That means I can't expect the same things of myself as I used to. I need to cut myself more slack. Realising this was the first step to becoming happy again.

Here's my advice:
-Try to figure out whether your lack of appetite is caused by physical or psychological problems. Some people have bad reactions to certain types of insulin (insulin is a hormone after all!). Or maybe your lack of appetite is due to anxiety or depression.
-Try to find the main causes of your stress. Is it physical pain? Is it due to coming to terms with diabetes? Is it due to the frustration of blood sugar management? Is it due to low or high blood sugars? (Both low and high blood sugars can cause moodiness and negative emotions.) Is it due to a lack of social life? Lack of freedom?
-All of these problems can be addressed, but figure out which are causing the most stress and work on those first.

Try to start working this out before visiting the doctor. Doctors help best when you can ask them specific questions (like "how do I eat a pizza without going high?" or "how come I go low at midnight after going for a run").

A good way to figure it out is to talk it through with someone. If you don't have anyone to talk to, talk to us!

Reactions: 2 people

Evezzr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone experienced totally losing their appetite since diagnosis? Initially was at the doctors for gastroenteritis then a UTI then the diabetes diagnosis was thrown in the mix. Started controlling my levels immediately by changing my diet but I have to force myself to eat. I was always ravenous before diagnosis. I have lost about a stone and a half in seven weeks. I have no interest in food and eat because I have to. My usual day is porridge for breakfast, fish salad for lunch and meat and veg for tea with few snacks. I don't know if its depression or gastroparesis (I feel nauseous when I wake up). This and all my other aches and pains are getting me down. Not on media yet. Only had a couple of diabetes related appointments so far.

yes I was diagno a few days ago and as I write this in bed I feel nauseas and also off food. I'm not even craving chocolate!! I'm on no medi yet so I diet haven't seen nurse yet. So feeling a bit it alone x

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Please don't feel alone your never alone on this site everyone is here to help you. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in Jan 2016 and I was like you at first. I didn't want to eat feeling low part of it was I didn't know what to eat as was just told to eat healthy. I even went in Aldi one day and was so frustrated as to what to buy and kept looking at food labels confused me a little, in the end I burst into tears. Once you get your head around things you will be just fine. Everyone on this site knows how emotionally draining it is when you first find out your diabetic, but we are all still here and feeling better. Keep with us.:):)