Why have I been sent for a OGTT???

calumcco

My readings of 6.7 and 7.9 are very low in comparison to some of the other threads I have read on this forum where people have had sugar levels of 17.1, 20, 32, etc, etc. My seem very healthy and perfectly normal when you compare them to the 3 values I just mentioned. Surely my GP can determine whether or not I have a problem based on my 2 fasting BG levels???????

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well my consultant wants me to go on one too :roll:
I told him I AM one, albeit a well controlled one although a OGTT will show nothing, My only problem is my initial insulin response, my secondary insulin response is good (as good as a non D2) but I AM STILL D2 :twisted: :twisted:

perhaps he wants the kudos of the first D2 becoming a non D2. Halleluiah, I am cured, :twisted: :twisted:

jopar

Even though compared to some of the other results you see yours look low, they are actually high for a fasting BG, in a non-diabetic you would expect to see bg's around the 4mmol/l level.

The point of the OGTT is to see how your body responds to a shot of glucose by seeing how your body responds will help determine the best treatment for you

You've been lucky that it seems that your GP has picked this up in the early stages, where hopefully a change in lifestyle, adjustment to eating and exercise will keep everything under control without the intervention of medication and never know your luck you may keep it all under control for many many years to come.

mcdonagh47

calumcco said:
My seem very healthy and perfectly normal when you compare them to the 3 values I just mentioned. Surely my GP can determine whether or not I have a problem based on my 2 fasting BG levels???????

errr....yeees ... the GP has determined you have a problem from your high fasting readings that's why he has sent you for an OGTT !!

We have been all through this before with you, haven't we - the OGTT will say which of the four categories you are -- "normal", IFT, IGT or Type 2 Diabetic.

Here's your previous thread on the matter ...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49656

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings of 6.7 and 7.9 are very low in comparison to some of the other threads I have read on this forum where people have had sugar levels of 17.1, 20, 32, etc, etc.

They are diagnostic of prediabetes/diabetes and an OGTT or hba1c test should provide more information. If testing shows that you have turned diabetic, you can thank your lucky stars that it has been detected at such an early stage and you have plenty of time to do something about it. I hope it's not the case but if it is, with some effort and a positive attitude, it shouldn't affect you much at all. Compared to those in the high teens, twenties and thirties that you mention, yours will be a walk in the park so to speak. In fact, that'll probably be one of the things on the list to start doing. I had fasting levels around 9.8 but managed just with diet and exercise. I don't know anything about your situation but if you can, have a go at that first. Medication isn't mandatory and it is sometimes no more than a knee jerk reaction by the GP.

Much worse off are those who already have diabetes but who don't know they have it. They are unknowingy damaging themselves.

Reactions: 2 people

mcdonagh47

They are diagnostic of prediabetes/diabetes and an OGTT or hba1c test should provide more information. If testing shows that you have turned diabetic, you can thank your lucky stars that it has been detected at such an early stage and you have plenty of time to do something about it. I hope it's not the case but if it is, with some effort and a positive attitude, it shouldn't affect you much at all. Compared to those in the high teens, twenties and thirties that you mention, yours will be a walk in the park so to speak. In fact, that'll probably be one of the things on the list to start doing. I had fasting levels around 9.8 but managed just with diet and exercise. I don't know anything about your situation but if you can, have a go at that first. Medication isn't mandatory and it is sometimes no more than a knee jerk reaction by the GP.

Much worse off are those who already have diabetes but who don't know they have it. They are unknowingy damaging themselves.

You are too late Yorkie, he?she has had the OGTT and been cleared of T2, It was reported in another thread last week.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news at least, thanks. It does go to show that some of the standard ideas about what levels do indicate or don't indicate diabetes are 'flexible'. It used to be said that two readings like that did confirm diabetes. I've always thought it is was too fine a call.

At least when I had my hba1c the GP congratulated me on having a high enough figure to give a positive diagnosis without any doubt whatsoever. :)