Breakfast ideas

A

AnnieC

I am prediabetic and not low carbing but am reducing carbs somewhat. Breakfast is a really difficult meal for me I hate cereal, museli and granola and certainly could not face fruit or smoothies for breakfast.
I love eggs but not sure how many I should eat in a week I do have raised cholesterol and eat low fat foods so my breakfasts at the moment are really just cold meats with tomatoes cucumber etc most days and eggs a couple of times a week as omlettes or scrambled with mushrooms cheese and tomatoes

Carbdodger

Hello
Eggs are wonderful and full of good things including healthy CH. Don't fear them. I eat them every morning and have no CH problems.
Tomorrow they will be with salmon. Today they were with mushrooms.
Cd

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its eggstraudinarely egghausting trying not to reply to this thread without some eggamples of egg words :) lol

i like yogurt and berries but they may be too close to smoothies for you

Reactions: 3 people
B

badcat

Some days I like a muffin (made from almond flour, eggs, baking powder, stevia & ) with warm berries and yogurt / cream. Other days it's a flaxseed muffin, berries & yogurt. Other days(usually the weekend) bacon, egg & mushrooms hit the spot

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Annie,

The researchers and medical profession changed their minds some time ago about eggs raising cholesterol. Even the British Heart Foundation now says that it's safe to eat as many eggs as you like. Google 'eggs and cholesterol and you'll find the BHF statement on eggs.

If you like avocado, you could have half an avocado, chopped bacon or ham and a few walnuts for a filling breakfast for a change from eggs.

Smidge

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Annie,

The researchers and medical profession changed their minds some time ago about eggs raising cholesterol. Even the British Heart Foundation now says that it's safe to eat as many eggs as you like. Google 'eggs and cholesterol and you'll find the BHF statement on eggs.

If you like avocado, you could have half an avocado, chopped bacon or ham and a few walnuts for a filling breakfast for a change from eggs.

Smidge

Is this the same british heart foundation that says saturated fats are bad you,

"The main cholesterol culprits are things like dairy products including full fat cheese or whole milk, fats like butter, lard and ghee, fatty cuts of meat or meat products and the skin on chicken."

And what they actually said was to avoid these in preference to avoiding eggs on a balanced diet.

"If you are worried about your cholesterol, cutting back on saturated fat is likely to make more of an impact on your diet than cutting back on the amount of eggs you eat."

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Douglas it is. I didn't say they were right about things, just that even they now agree the advice they gave about eggs for more than a decade was wrong.

In another decade I expect they'll have reversed their advice on saturated fat and caught up with the more enlightened among us.

In the meantime, I don't see why people like the OP should miss out on eggs just because of years of poor advice from these quangos do you?

Smidge

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes Douglas it is. I didn't say they were right about things, just that even they now agree the advice they gave about eggs for more than a decade was wrong.

In another decade I expect they'll have reversed their advice on saturated fat and caught up with the more enlightened among us.

In the meantime, I don't see why people like the OP should miss out on eggs just because of years of poor advice from these quangos do you?

Smidge

You won't mind me quoting them in full for your reference then surely.

And as the op already has raised cholesterol, and the bhf doesn't appear just say eggs are good, just that they're not as bad as saturated fat for you, I think it's fair to let the op decide for themselves on the message they give now?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote away Douglas. Although if you read my post properly instead of trying to pick a fight, you will see that I have recommended that the OP Google's for the exact statement to make sure she is happy with what they say. Presumably you saw that part of my post as you took my advice LOL.

Now, in the interests of not derailing this thread, I am not going to reply any further to your attempts at starting a fight in this thread.

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Picking a fight, and derailing the thread?

"I love eggs but not sure how many I should eat in a week I do have raised cholesterol" was the question.

If you can post up your references for the op, that eggs actively reduce cholesterol, I'm sure they would appreciate it.
As you say, I did google your reference, and posted the statements as I found them.
Otherwise the op may well be better off not switching over to an unlimited diet of eggs, even if it may be an urban myth they increase cholesterol without any proof otherwise.

A

AnnieC

Thanks guys didn't want you to fight over it though so I think perhaps I will go for the happy medium and just have three or four a week

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You need to find what works for you.
Choose a diet, stick to it for 3 months, go and ask your doctor for full blood tests, and take it from there.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
Some days I like a muffin (made from almond flour, eggs, baking powder, stevia & ) with warm berries and yogurt / cream. Other days it's a flaxseed muffin, berries & yogurt. Other days(usually the weekend) bacon, egg & mushrooms hit the spot
would love that muffin recipe plz xx

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Annie, I may be some sort of biological freak, and I'm not saying that eggs will either raise or lower your cholesterol, but I eat 4 to 6 eggs a day and have done for years, all my cholesterol levels are good. I don't low carb any more but used to be on a VLC diet. I follow more of a reduced carb diet now. Personally, I don't think eggs affect your cholesterol levels at all.

B

badcat

would love that muffin recipe plz xx
It's
200g almond flour ( you can replace up to 40g or so with coconut flour if you want and it works well too, more coconut flour makes is drier and denser muffin)
5 large or 6 medium eggs
2tsp baking powder
2 tbsp stevia ( xylitol or Splenda would also work)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cream, yogurt or or lemon juice ( not essential )
100- 150 g berries ( raspberries for the lowest carb count, then blackberies or blueberries)
Combine all together then pour into 12 muffin cases
Bake for around 20 mins at 140 degrees
Enjoy!

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ohhh i be trying this thanku so much x

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Sorry to derail the thread even further but where do you guys buy the almond flour? And do they freeze?
They sound lovely.
Thanks x

B

badcat

Hi
Sorry to derail the thread even further but where do you guys buy the almond flour? And do they freeze?
They sound lovely.
Thanks x
Almond flour and ground almonda are pretty much the same thing - I either buy from the supermarket or in bulk via amazon
The muffins freeze well -

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I've tried all the normal supermarkets around here and they didn't have it. I'll look on Amazon. Thanks again x

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
i will have to try soya flour today .. but u never know xx