Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi

Since going low carb, 18 months ago, I have lost 5 stone in weight and got my BS readings down to between 5 and 7, my doctor took me off insulin and all has been great.

Yesterday morning, I tested my BS and got a reading of 8.7.............I tested again at around 5pm and the reading was 8.1.

The only 'different' food I have eaten, from my normal diet, are a few Nuts (Dry Roasted Peanuts) and some pickled onions (I checked the Carbs on both)......this morning my BS read 9.5.............could it be the nuts or onions?

Must say I am feeling really disappointed, especially after being 'level' for so long..........I even went and got a new BS Tester from the Doc's, just in case the old one was faulty.....still the same reading.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, congrats on all your progress, could you be coming down with a cold or other nasty? that can cause bgs to rise, hope not but those foods dont seem likely to have caused the rise

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Andy

Don't feel like I am coming down with any bugs..........been racking my brain trying to think if there is anything else I have eaten 'out of the ordinary' but not come up with anything.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I wouldn't worry too much about a one-off higher reading than normal. If it continues, then speak to your doc but a single reading can be many things and there is quite a bit of error in the BG monitors. Good luck !
Mo

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hang on.......I had a cortisone injection on Saturday, could that be the cause?.......If so how long will it last.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Widdy,

Peanuts are quite deceptively carby little blighters - and some makes of dry roast put plenty of sugar in the seasoning. I find that I eat more peanuts than I thought -100g is quite a small amount and they have at least 11 or 12g carb per 100g. For me, they take my BG up too slowly for my rapid acting insulin and keep it there for too long. I'd give them a miss for a while if I were you and see if your BG goes back to normal - then try the peanuts again and see what the effect is.

Smidge

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hang on.......I had a cortisone injection on Saturday, could that be the cause?.......If so how long will it last.

I'd say so. I'm on prednisolone at the moment, quite a low dose, but my sugar is residing in the teens.

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
You would have thought the Doc would have said something about it.

Ahh well, just have to keep a good check on it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As Catherine says the effects can last up to 2 weeks, surprised your gp didn't mention that the injection can play havoc with bg levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Widdy1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Found this.........looks like it may last a while, I had the shot for a Rotator Cuff Injury in my shoulder.

By the way, if you receive a steroid injection, expect the effect on your blood glucose to last up to several weeks.