Low Carb Resolution

big_daddy

For my New Year's Resolution, I am planning on eating a moderate carb diet of 200g from 20th January (start of my next term at uni) and reduce the amount of carbs by 20g after each week until I find a suitable amount of carbs that I am able to cope with. I am determined to lose weight and be below 20 stone by xmas 2014 which with the help from my dietician, the b-you programme that I finally have an appointment for on the 23rd of this month (after a 3 month delay) and my xmas gift the new Davina - Fit in 15 Workout DVD from my partner.

I am trading out Weetabix and Toast for Natural/Greek Yoghurt with kiwi or berries, first snack of 1 sugar free jelly serving instead of sweets, biscuits or chocolate, trading out Sandwiches for Salads, a second snack of 1 sugar free jelly serving, and trading out chips, breaded and battered meat, pies and ready meals for fresh veg, quorn meat and fish. I am only going to drink alcohol on occasions and sticking with small 25cl lager bottles from Aldi and staying away from spirits as even in small quantities they make me feel bad just on their own.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For my New Year's Resolution, I am planning on eating a moderate carb diet of 200g from 20th January (start of my next term at uni) and reduce the amount of carbs by 20g after each week until I find a suitable amount of carbs that I am able to cope with. I am determined to lose weight and be below 20 stone by xmas 2014 which with the help from my dietician, the b-you programme that I finally have an appointment for on the 23rd of this month (after a 3 month delay) and my xmas gift the new Davina - Fit in 15 Workout DVD from my partner.

I am trading out Weetabix and Toast for Natural/Greek Yoghurt with kiwi or berries, first snack of 1 sugar free jelly serving instead of sweets, biscuits or chocolate, trading out Sandwiches for Salads, a second snack of 1 sugar free jelly serving, and trading out chips, breaded and battered meat, pies and ready meals for fresh veg, quorn meat and fish. I am only going to drink alcohol on occasions and sticking with small 25cl lager bottles from Aldi and staying away from spirits as even in small quantities they make me feel bad just on their own.

Sounds a good plan.
Try Coors Light, seems to give me less spikes than other beers.

big_daddy

Sounds a good plan.
Try Coors Light, seems to give me less spikes than other beers.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will stick to the Brasserie Premium French Lager as it has 2 grams of carbs per bottle and the price is £3.25 for 10 bottles and the taste is better than Coors Light. No offence.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the suggestion, but I will stick to the Brasserie Premium French Lager as it has 2 grams of carbs per bottle and the price is £3.25 for 10 bottles and the taste is better than Coors Light. No offence.

Where did you find that figure?
I've found it struggle to find any details for beers.
Any more on there?

Coors light is about 6g per bottle, so the Aldi stuff is about half!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Sounds like a really good plan. I have found that reducing carbs brought my blood sugar down, and after a few weeks I stopped being quite so hungry. So although the first days will be tough, stick with it, come and rant on the forum when you are having a rough day... And before you know it the weight will be falling off!

Reactions: 5 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It sounds good. I hope you stick to it. Weight loss will make you feel better. Keep us updated!

Cara

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Myfitnesspal can be massively innacurate, the data for many foods and especially drinks are crowdsourced, that is, anybody can create a food or drink entry and put whatever they like into the carbs section. i find the figure quoted for carbs to be suspiciously low for that particular product.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
If you look at Atkins it recommends NO alcohol for at least the 1st 2 weeks I believe. It might be longer, alcohol is not good for weight loss.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With an intended carb intake of 200g this is hardly an Atkins type diet! Personally I would do it the Atkins way, start with only 20g per day then gradually increase after two weeks until I find the level I can cope with adequately (for me thats 60-80g).

lels68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So is reducing your carbs a generally good idea? I ask, very very new to this, my boyfriend is type 2, and he loves his pasta & crumpets. I feel he should cut down.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
It doesn't state the total grams of carbohydrate per bottle, just the total grams of sugar per bottle.
Out of curiosity I checked and actually it does state carbs per 250ml serving
  1. Servings: 250 ml 1 ml
  1. Calories
99Sodium0 mg
Total Fat0 gPotassium0 mg
Saturated0 gTotal Carbs0 g
Polyunsaturated0 gDietary Fiber0 g
Monounsaturated0 gSugars2 g
Trans0 gProtein0 g
Cholesterol0 mg
Vitamin A0%Calcium0%
Vitamin C0%Iron0%

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a pet peeve of mine that currently alcohol does not have to carry any kind of nutrition lebeling at all, so nearly all beers have no accurate carb info at all. As a rule beers generally have between 20-35g per pint, none that I ever heard of are zero carb.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

You don't need to give up meat and swap for Quorn. Meat is carb free. I'm not sure, but suspect that Quorn isn't. I agree Qorn tastes nice, but I personally prefer a natural cooked from fresh ingredients diet.
Hana