Metformin for type 1.5?

Sheppie84

I have LADA/1.5 and have been advised not to worry unless my bg's hit 13. They have been creeping up for a while and 7-9's after fasting is now not uncommon for me.
Should I enquire with my DSN about Metformin if they are not willing to use insulin until I'm in the 13's?
I know it is used primarily for t2's but have read that it has been used successfully for short periods with t1.5's.

Thanks,
Sarah

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Re: Metformin for type 1.5?

I am LADA on insulin and also on 2g of metformin, so can't see why not.

Sheppie84

Did you start Metformin first?
What were your levels like when you started medication?
Just wondering what's normal for the start of meds.
Thanks

elaine77

Hey I take 2x 500mg Metformin per day, it's definitely worth it because the way it works is that it makes your body more receptive to the insulin you DO produce so while ur still producing some it will help. I'm surprised they haven't suggested it really? Alot of people say it only brings you down by 1-2mmol but that's not true because when I went through a switch from standard release to slow release Metformin my BS shot up by at least 4mmol in the overlap time whilst the new tablets started working. I think us 1.5s are a complete mystery lol

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Sheppie84

If it brings you down by 4mmol then they probably won't prescribe it then as I'm only at 7-9 after fasting. My post meals are usually in range, it's just my fasting that I'm struggling with.
Would background insulin be helpful?

St4cey

Hey ;)

I was diagnosed withDiabetes in Dec, Type unknown and put on Gliclazide then Metformin after the Gliclazide wasn't working on its own, I was soon just taking Metformin 1000mg x2 per day and still do this. My fasting levels are always in the 7's and after meals are in range. Few wks ago I started to cut carbs more than I already had and the carbs I do eat are 'better' carbs and started to see 6's. I saw my consultant at the end of April when i was told I was Type 1.5 and he saw my record of all 7's and wasn't bothered, told me to stay as I am and not to worry checking sugars so much, back there end of July so I might mention it to them as like you don't like being at the top end of readings! Might be worth asking you're DN

Xx

Sheppie84

But if the fasting guidelines are 4-5.9 why aren't 7's a problem?
I just don't get it.
I have tried low carb but found it very hard to stick to and it only lowered my sugars by 1mmol on average.

St4cey

Ah I thought they were 4-7? I've had weeks where it drives me mad but having a period of not botherdness at present!! As long as they're not knocking on for 8-9 for no reason then I'd be wanting something extra, no harm in asking especially if you're having some 8's

Sheppie84

I was told 4-5.9 for fasting and 4-7 after meals. Maybe it's different for everyone.
I will bring it up and just see what my DSN says.
It's just so frustrating. I feel like this is just a time bomb waiting to go off. I wish I could predict how long my pancreas will keep doing it's job for.
X

elaine77

That's really good! My fasting is always between 7 and 8 mmol and yep I can't control it either I never have been able to. Post prandial is 5-7mmol for me but that's WITH the Metformin... I don't no if it brings me down by that much I just know that when I changed tablets my levels went UP by that much until the new tablets took effect? I guess there could have been other reasons for it? Metformin also apparently doesn't cause hypos either which means its safer in that respect than injecting insulin is... I don't take insulin so I'm not too knowledgeable with it but I would assume that they would try Metformin BEFORE they put u on insulin as it is less extreme? I hav my next blood result appointment 13th June so wonder what they will suggest next lol....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

elaine77

Those levels are for non-diabetics I think sheppie... For type 1s I think it's more like 5-9 mmol or something like that as a general range but to be honest I aim for the non-diabetic ranges too - false hope I'm giving myself! Lol. I do know that a fasting level of over 7 is diagnostic of diabetes (if it happens on more than one occasion)so they do expect 7s in diabetics and think its normal (for a diabetic). When i changed tablets i shot up to 10.2 mmol at one point and when i told the GP he was like 'oh i wouldnt worry aslong as its below 12' !! i was like...WHAT? ive never been that high since diagnosis! i also feel like I have an anvil over my head called insulin dependency ready to drop at any moment it's awful.... They don't seem to know anything about 1.5 diabetes either, it's like it's a guessing game!

marjoy

won't prescribe it then as I'm [commercial link removed] only at 7-9 after fasting. My post meals are usually in range, it's just my fasting that I'm struggling with.
Would background insulin be helpful?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I take a Metformin tablet in the evening whenever my BS levels are around 7+. So far this seems to be working for me (when they average below 6, I stop taking them). GP thinks I should take Metformin regularly, Diabetic doc says no point in taking any meds as I will be on insulin within a few months. Neither recommend taking them on a non regular basis, but it seems to work for me!.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. prescribed Metformin and Gliclazide. Went on zero processed sugar and low carb diet, got my BS levels averaging 5.5 and stopped taking any medication within weeks. Requested a GAD test in November (because I felt I was not a typical T2, after reading lots on this forum) came back very high 2,000+, doc says I will be T1 soon, but presently LADA. Told to contact diabetic centre when my BS levels are regularly in double figures.

Last edited by a moderator:

elaine77

Hi Ian, they told me that too and 1yr later I'm no different and still not on insulin.

I wouldn't worry about not taking Metformin if u go below 6 because Metformin alone cannot cause hypos, that's not how they work. If you don't take them regularly they won't be making a real difference though as they need to be present in ur body continuously to really have an effect. I'm still taking my original dose and they're working ok for me at the moment, levels always between 4 and 9 mmol :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

elaine77

Also could admin please explain why the type1.5/LADA tab is no longer in the drop down menu please??? We are not the same as type 1 or type 2 and deserve our section back!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Reactions: 3 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Ian, they told me that too and 1yr later I'm no different and still not on insulin.

I wouldn't worry about not taking Metformin if u go below 6 because Metformin alone cannot cause hypos, that's not how they work. If you don't take them regularly they won't be making a real difference though as they need to be present in ur body continuously to really have an effect. I'm still taking my original dose and they're working ok for me at the moment, levels always between 4 and 9 mmol :)

Thanks Elaine, good to hear you are 1year+, hoping I can get a year without insulin, but doc thinks not with a GAD of 2000+. Once I am averaging over 7 for a few weeks I will try Metformin twice / day, as recommended by GP.

elaine77

No probs, just a little bit of optimism too, my consultant told me that the level of GAD65 is not an indication of how many or how quickly beta cells are being destroyed as GAD65 does other things in the body. He has also stopped doing my GAD test in my review coz of this reason....which im not happy about :-(

Reactions: 2 people