Morning blood sugar levels

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
Hi

What is considered a good morning reading on any given day ?

Steve

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Hi, someone will prob give an idea soon, but mine is 7.8 this morning.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
6.2 is very good. A lot of people with overall good control struggle to get a good morning reading. Well done !

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
After my evening meal last night. Standard roast chicken dinner with mash. I was 5.3 didn't eat anything else between then and my morning test. Why would it go up in the night

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Your body can release glucose from the liver in anticipation of your waking up, glands and hormones can also play a part.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One if them days I think I've only lost 0.5 of a lb today after a week of running and perfect diet grrrrrr

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
It's official name is Dawn Phenomenon or DP and it works just like Fergus says. It happens in everyone but non diabetics can rapidly soak up the excess glucose where as in diabetics it takes longer. Its effects usually get less over time as your new diet and regime kick in. Even after 2 years my wake up levels are still roughly where yours are but they were double digit initially after diagnosis. Just keep on with the new lifestyle as there really is little you can do about DP other than give it time.

Reactions: 3 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DP is new to me but having read the link it would seem perhaps (?) that morning testing could give you an indication of your insulin sensitivity.

Is that a fair comment?

Would it apply more to type 2?

I know very little about type 1 or the other variations.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
4.2 :p

i never used to do a early morning test because it was always high therefore setting the day off on a sour note, there was nothing i could do about it so i just didn't test :) plus it messed up my stats on my bg print out lol

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I did have lower redings a few weeks back suppose I need to eat even less then

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's not eating less that you need to do. That can actually have the opposite effect 1st thing as your liver may actually dump more glucose. Don't worry too much about it, there's not a great deal you can do about it. You'll start stressing again and your BG levels will get worse lol ! Concentrate on controlling what you can, not what you can't !

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
portion control yes but for me its not about the amount its about the content, i think eating less is a road to cheating because your hungry therefore tend to snack, better to have a full healthy meal imho

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have a slice of brown seeded toast for breakfast a ham and low fat Cheese brown sandwich and beetroot for lunch and something like brown pasta with bolognaise for dinner and a low fat yogurt after

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Turvell, you're doing great! Up until two weeks ago my morning readings were up in the 9s and 10s. Like you I wondered where I was going wrong but I listened to what people on here said about DP and played the waiting game. Now my morning BGs are never above 4.7. Just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. Lots of luck for your continued success ;)