How to make diagnosis easier?

APNP

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am an Advanced Paediatric Nurse Practitioner working in a general hospital in Scotland and I'd like to hear views from parents and children about how the news was broken to you that you had diabetes. (Not necessarily just in Scotland) Part of my job is making that diagnosis and I am likely to be the one who has to tell you the news. So please tell me your stories, the good and the bad. I (think) I can understand it is a shock to most, there is an enormous amount of information given to you, often too quickly and I'd like to understand better what the general feel is to what you really need to know and when. This is for personal development only not for publication however if you give me good ideas I'd like to share those with my colleagues. Please only contribute if you are happy for me to share your thoughts and feelings...and a big thankyou in advance. And if you are under 18 please make sure your parents are happy that you are sharing!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi APNP and welcome to the forum. You may also want to post the above in the Parents section of the forum, it will probably get a few more reply's there.

Reactions: 3 people

APNP

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi APNP and welcome to the forum. You may also want to post the above in the Parents section of the forum, it will probably get a few more reply's there.
Thanks, How do I find the parents section???

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Go to the Home Page. Scroll down and you will find the heading Parents.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To cut a long story short I had a blood test on friday am had a phone call ay 10 15 pm saying that my blood sugar was very high and I needed to go to hospital I was asleep at the time my husband was told to waken me and then I was told that I was in danger of going into a coma .We refused to go and I was then told that I was refusing treatment and that my condition was life threatening I went to the Nhs direct in the morning and had a consultation with a very understanding GP who apologised and suggested I see my GP on Monday morning.

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
I changed my Gp practice and had to have a health check. They sent me to see the nurse who told me that I had diabetes. Obviously I was terrified and asked what I should do. She simply gave me a leaflet and said go home and get on with it oh and always make sure that you wear something on my feet at home. There ended my appointment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jaade88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had symptoms for a while when I was 7 years old and one morning my little brother told my mum
And dad he had heard me getting up in the middle of he night to drink water it the tap and I had lost nearly 2 stones in 2 weeks and was falling asleep in school.

One morning I woke up and was violently sick and my mum got a doctors appointment for that day. Went down to the doctors surgery with a plastic bag because I was still being sick on the way to the doctors. Still being sick the doctor checked my blood sugar and it was at 49.7 and I was sent straight to hospital and the rest us history . Started on 2 injections a day and now at 22 I'm on 6 a day both novo rapid and levemir

Hope this helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

chal3oye

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We refused to go and I was then told that I was refusing treatment and that my condition was life threatening I went to the Nhs direct in the morning and had a consultation with a very understanding GP who apologised and suggested I see my GP on Monday morning.
http://leather4sure.biz/

Last edited:

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
A week or so after a Glucose Tollerence test my wife received a phone call from the GP receptionist to tell me that I needed to make an appontment with the diabetes nurse.