1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to make diagnosis easier?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by APNP, Jan 11, 2014.

1. APNP

APNP HCP · Newbie

Hi, I am an Advanced Paediatric Nurse Practitioner working in a general hospital in Scotland and I'd like to hear views from parents and children about how the news was broken to you that you had diabetes. (Not necessarily just in Scotland) Part of my job is making that diagnosis and I am likely to be the one who has to tell you the news. So please tell me your stories, the good and the bad. I (think) I can understand it is a shock to most, there is an enormous amount of information given to you, often too quickly and I'd like to understand better what the general feel is to what you really need to know and when. This is for personal development only not for publication however if you give me good ideas I'd like to share those with my colleagues. Please only contribute if you are happy for me to share your thoughts and feelings...and a big thankyou in advance. And if you are under 18 please make sure your parents are happy that you are sharing!

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi APNP and welcome to the forum. You may also want to post the above in the Parents section of the forum, it will probably get a few more reply's there.

• Like Like x 3
  3. APNP

APNP HCP · Newbie

Thanks, How do I find the parents section???

4. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Go to the Home Page. Scroll down and you will find the heading Parents.

5. APNP

APNP HCP · Newbie

Thanks, I'm better at nursing!!!

6. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

To cut a long story short I had a blood test on friday am had a phone call ay 10 15 pm saying that my blood sugar was very high and I needed to go to hospital I was asleep at the time my husband was told to waken me and then I was told that I was in danger of going into a coma .We refused to go and I was then told that I was refusing treatment and that my condition was life threatening I went to the Nhs direct in the morning and had a consultation with a very understanding GP who apologised and suggested I see my GP on Monday morning.

7. Montana

Montana · Well-Known Member

I changed my Gp practice and had to have a health check. They sent me to see the nurse who told me that I had diabetes. Obviously I was terrified and asked what I should do. She simply gave me a leaflet and said go home and get on with it oh and always make sure that you wear something on my feet at home. There ended my appointment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

8. jaade88

jaade88 Type 1 · Member

I had symptoms for a while when I was 7 years old and one morning my little brother told my mum
    And dad he had heard me getting up in the middle of he night to drink water it the tap and I had lost nearly 2 stones in 2 weeks and was falling asleep in school.

One morning I woke up and was violently sick and my mum got a doctors appointment for that day. Went down to the doctors surgery with a plastic bag because I was still being sick on the way to the doctors. Still being sick the doctor checked my blood sugar and it was at 49.7 and I was sent straight to hospital and the rest us history . Started on 2 injections a day and now at 22 I'm on 6 a day both novo rapid and levemir

Hope this helps :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

9. chal3oye

chal3oye Gestational · Newbie

We refused to go and I was then told that I was refusing treatment and that my condition was life threatening I went to the Nhs direct in the morning and had a consultation with a very understanding GP who apologised and suggested I see my GP on Monday morning.
    http://leather4sure.biz/

#9 chal3oye, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  10. Joe Sweatthang

Joe Sweatthang Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A week or so after a Glucose Tollerence test my wife received a phone call from the GP receptionist to tell me that I needed to make an appontment with the diabetes nurse.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook