Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
War time rations were very small.
I know from relatives that pepper sandwiches, sauce sandwiches and sugar sandwiches were the norm and if you had jam then you did not have butter on the sandwich.
I think you had to be inventive with what you had.
Indeed, I remember my dad telling me about the things his dad used to eat after the war. Lardy bread was his favourite, along with tripe and whatever other offal he could pick up cheap enough.

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting article, below. i also read somewhere last week that although some veg oil based margarine manufacturers are now claiming their products contain no trans fats they may contain up to 2% transfats without declaring them, also that when these are subjected to heat as in cooking, trans fats are created, unfortunately I cannot find that article now but perhaps some of our more chemically aware members can verify?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/sep/27/health.food

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
When I was a child and butter came off rationing, a favourite sandwich, but not allowed in our house, was bread, thickly spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar! :)

Yes I remember that! My grandad used to make it for us. It's not really surprising I am in the state I'm in now is it? :D

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
When I was a child and butter came off rationing, a favourite sandwich, but not allowed in our house, was bread, thickly spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar! :)
Same here Beachbag. I was very young when rationing ended and we too enjoyed similar sandwich, just because we had both butter and sugar after many years without. We were more fortunate than many as we used to get food parcels from family in USA. I still use butter "as a treat" but mostly use an Olive spread, a mixture of Olive oil and water and other stuff spun at very high speed. Going off this idea though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

AnnieC

Indeed, I remember my dad telling me about the things his dad used to eat after the war. Lardy bread was his favourite, along with tripe and whatever other offal he could pick up cheap enough.
Yes and dripping on toast was another favorite sprinkled with salt it was lovely especially the gravy bit at the bottom of the dripping bowl

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The day after cooking kippers my mums best friend would wipe up the fat with a piece of bread and have it for lunch, just the thought turns my stomach :(

(I don't like kippers and hate the smell)

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar butties ! I had forgotten about them they were a sweet treat when there were no sweets as sweets were one of the last things to come off rationing .We used to suck them so that the sugar melted in the butter it sounds vile now but times have changed !!!
CAROL
Wonder if that was the cause of sugar diabetes as my gran used to call it:D

mpe

"Kerrigold spreadable, olive oil and butter
http://kerrygold.com/products/spreadable-olive-butter/

Kerrigold low fat 25% less fat - lighter block.

http://kerrygold.co.uk/home/products/"

These products are not butter. Butter is butter and the only added ingredient is salt-or not. Only Champagne can be called Champagne-sparkling wine-is not Champagne.

Not really the same kind of thing since the wine has a PDO.

Most likely the real reason for adulterating butter with oils or soft margarine is that the result has a higher profit margin.

Reactions: 3 people

patticat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nosey, unkind and intolerant people; mushy-textured, doughy food
Beachbag, my parents grew up during the Depression here in the USA, and my mom said bread spread with butter (not margarine) and sprinkled with sugar was a special treat. She continued to love it that way all her life, but it was something I tried but never really cared for; however, butter on bread with a fresh tomato, now that's really tasty!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I was a war baby and we lived on locally grown fruit & veg there was little fruit and sweets/chocolate were rationed so sugar sandwiches were a treat to us kids as was a piece of rhubarb dipped in sugar. And no if you had jam you did not get butter too. Compared to what people stuff themselves with today I don't think it did us much harm and we did not get it every day but maybe occasionally as a treat. After all, nutritionists reckon that children born in the 40/50's are the fittest generation ever. Even today if I have something on toast I don't have butter too, how would you taste it with a pile of beans over it anyway.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You'd be surprised how much butter on toast under beans changes the taste for the better.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as a diet controlled T2 I rarely have toast, (maybe once or twice a year) but I have been known to put butter on to a small portion of beans. Delicious! I use butter on veg too instead of gravy. Wonderful. You really can't beat a bit ( or alot) of butter.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SUGAR BUTTY.......................Now you're talking, and if you could afford them, shove a banana under the sugar. OH YEH
Not forgetting the "Tate & Lyles Golden Syrup" butty with banana..............
banana butty.jpg
If there is a heaven, then here it is.:D:D

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@izzzi first I'd like to say that 1977 is hardly 'today' ! (not even in my world)

More importantly though that clip is so wrong, surely everyone knows that if we're talking about 'eating it with nothing on' butter is by far the best? ;):)
I know, even on my vegan type diet, there is not such a thing as "substitute for butter"
Mind you if more of these threads about good butter are highlighted I will have to upgrade my style of diet.
corn_eating_3.gif~c200

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We told you so! Butter replaces Statins.......................

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/butter-replaces-statins/
So there is a substitute for butter after all.......statins! Now doesn't that just explain why margarine was pushed so hard and why we were all told that butter is bad for you in the first place?!

So the choice is statins plus margarine or delicious butter. Not a difficult choice really is it? :D

Reactions: 4 people