Hello everyone. X

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, hope your all well. I'm new to the forums but not new to diabetes. I was diagnosed T2 two years ago and im on metformin and gliclazide at the moment. At first I made a real effort and had good control but over the last year I've buried my head in the sand and ignored my diabetes. I had a wake up call when I found out I had put weight on and now following a diet and exercise plan that works for me. So far I've lost 7lb, another 3 stone to go but its a start. :) x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Sara,
Congrats on the weight loss, and its great to see you back on track. :)

K

Kat100

Hello, well done for trying, it is so hard x keep up the good work you can do what is right for you....x

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sara and welcome to the forum. Let us know if you have any questions and someone will help

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Sara, welcome to the forum . Well done for getting back on track. You are in the right place here to get as much help and support that you will need in the coming months. Good luck :)

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou. I've been learning a lot as I've been a forum lurker for a couple of weeks. Its seems a bit of a minefield, working out the right way to eat etc, and its all a learning curve. I'll get there am sure. :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sara

Welcome. I lost weight last year and cut back on carbs. I feel so much better.

Best advice is to test before and after meals and then you will know which food raise your blood sugars and can avoid them

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive managed to lose 10lb so far now, and cut down to about half the carbs I was having, so im around the 100g -120g of carbs a day. Mostly from veg and salad items these days. I barely touch bread, pasta, rice and potatos and dont have a sweet tooth which does help. I do have a bit of a mental block when it comes to LCHF as its always drummed in to go low fat.

BRADC100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Insincerity
Hi all, hope your all well. I'm new to the forums but not new to diabetes. I was diagnosed T2 two years ago and im on metformin and gliclazide at the moment. At first I made a real effort and had good control but over the last year I've buried my head in the sand and ignored my diabetes. I had a wake up call when I found out I had put weight on and now following a diet and exercise plan that works for me. So far I've lost 7lb, another 3 stone to go but its a start. :) x

Hi Sara, to be really honest, I've had my head firmly buried in Concrete since being told i'm Type 2....didnt really believe all the nonsense my doctor was telling me. ( to be brutal..all I was told is I had T2, given a few more tests and a booklet to read then told to take metformin and statins) I reluctantly started on the tablets and still did not believe any of it but now Im noticing things and this is the reason i'm sitting up and taking note. All of a sudden. I have started watching what I eat, cutting down alchohol intake, doing moderate execise. the only grey area is understanding food...types of food are a night mare to someone like me and there isnt enough education in plain speak is there? Still Good luck with your endeavours...and if you have any food tips along the way Id appreciate them.

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Yes it is a bit of a minefield isnt it. Ive found having a meter and test strips a big help in finding out what foods spike my blood sugar. Im one of the lucky ones and get 50 strips a month on prescription. Most doctors dont give meters and strips out to T2's.
If you arent given one, ive heard the codefree meters and strips that you can buy on amazon are very reasonable, a lot less than most. I also use an app called myfitnesspal on my phone, which calculates calories, carbs, fat etc for me.
Im just coming up to the end of week 2 and just 2lb off losing a stone in weight now. Mostly through cutting carb intake I think. Hope you manage to get your head round things, as I feel a hell of a lot better in a short space of time. :)

BRADC100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Insincerity
Good for you kiddo! I have a meter and strips and used it regularly to start with could not get the readings below 10 mmols. eventually I gave up. But since tackling the food and exercise things head on ive noticed a remarkable drop in these readings. just saturday afternoon i logged a reading before breakfast of 5.7 which considering my readings thus far was pretty phenominal. I'm regularly under 9 mmols 2 hours after food now.! Would you or anyone think it adviseable to employ a nutritionist to work my diet???

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
hi Brad

we are supposed to be referred to one i think, but i was not. what i do is cut out all sugar that i can i.e sweets cakes etc. and only aim to get sugar from natural sources. i swapped all my breads and pasta and rice for the brown wholegrain versions and even then i cut it out where i can. carbs are not our friends with type 2. so keep them low as you can, the exercise is amazing keep that up and keep weight as close to normal as possible. and i find the main thing is dont be afraid to ask just get in here and ask away. lord knows i ask some stupid questions but its nice to know that someone is listening. and feel free to message me also. its good to make friends with people in the same **** hole :)

BRADC100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Insincerity
Cheers fella. Good sound advice there. My issue is with whats are Good and bad carbs? What are good and bad fats? what are good fruits and bad fruits and Oils...apparently there are good and bad oils too.....BeJesus!!!! I thought having a banana was good....if I needed to snack...then I see an add that says its one of 5 things NOT to have...a blooming minefield ...Cheers though bud....I'll keep on it until I get to the truth haha.

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With my limited knowledge and I stress on the limited. Lol. The better carbs are the brown versions of things, but try and limit even those. The better fruits are berries, so blueberries, blackberries etc. Oils, ive heard olive oil, coconut oil are good. But yes bananas can be very high in natural sugars.