Kayaking

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best thing I worked out for myself for kayaking, mostly on River Cam in Cambridge, but also other rivers and canals in East Anglia, West Midlands and Caledonian Canal (Fort William to Inverness) was to have a lifejacket with pockets for snacks and meter in plastic bags, so they're more easily accessible than in shorts or trouser pockets or a plastic tub under spray deck.

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not that keen on traditional lifejackets for kayaking. I prefer a wetsuit and a manually inflated co2 harness, so have no pockets, but there is a fish hatch just below my knees which is OK. i keep the radio clipped to my harness, my paddle is on a tether that is attached to the kayak and the knee straps keep me very connected to the kayak.

a friend and I both did a day of exercises with the local inshore rescue boat a couple of years ago, basically paddled out about half a mile then deliberately capsized the kayak (not my own) so they could practice picking up casualties. Got a total boll*cking the first time because I had forgotten to wear a lifejacket of any description, and was bobbing up and down quite happily with just my westsuit on - very peaceful it was too, the biggest danger really was me dozing off and drifting down to Dover with the tide.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find I don't sink, even in a shorty wetsuit.
Having said that, I still have my buoyancy aid from 30 years ago, which I now fit back into. Ribbed vest type, so it doesn't get in the way.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only caveat I have is that if you are kayaking in surf, or where there is some other risk of injury such as white water, a wetsuit will not necessarily keep you floating on your back with face out of water if you are unconcious or otherwise disabled, which modern lifejackets have to do to be certified. The other thing to consider is that a crotchstrap is pretty essential for an effective lifejacket.

The old bouyancy aids are not much better than the wetsuits really so I prefer my modern slimline harness which when inflated is a full lifejacket, and I also used the same one when sailing or out in the Rib so its multi purpose.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
If your co2 harness goes missing...it isnt :-D
*jealous cause l want one n they cost to much*

l often take my LJ off never had much respect for h & s

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get reasonable co2 harnesses for about £45 if you shop around, I wouldnt want to do a circumnavigation with one but perfectly OK for normal use. You must have them serviced every year though.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are buying an automatic one you need to make sure how they are triggered, some of the cheaper ones will go off as soon as they are immersed which is no good if you are kayaking, they just have a bit of cardboard that dissolves quickly and releases they trigger so even a big splash will do it - that why I use a manual one.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing worth doing if you are going to try kayaking is to join the British Canoe Union, you get insurance both for the kayak and liability insurance from them and their info and advice is excellent.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l am way ahead there been a member since bought inflatable done their rescue and 1 and think 2* courses (lost track) & doing white water in couple of months.
To go on all canals and most inland waters need their membership

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
l am way ahead there been a member since bought inflatable done their rescue and 1 and think 2* courses (lost track) & doing white water in couple of months.
To go on all canals and most inland waters need their membership

You might find you get a discount in some kayak stores then, I got 10% off on two new kayaks by showing my BCU card and then another 10% off my new wetsuit and safety gear for my crew card!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1392821115.206776.jpg

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Yup l know some do 10% l got that off when we bought our 2 hardshells and lot of bits at the moment lot to go out and have to pay for white water course and 2 helmets so will put it on hold but bookmarked :)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's more comfy to sit on a traditional life jacket for meal break during day tours and evening / breakfast as well during multi day tours. Wouldn't be comfy for my bottom, nor good for lifejacket to sit on a CO jacket :)

Reactions: 4 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's more comfy to sit on a traditional life jacket for meal break during day tours and evening / breakfast as well during multi day tours. Wouldn't be comfy for my bottom, nor good for lifejacket to sit on a CO jacket :)

My kayak has a detachable soft seat so not a problem for my bottom!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Our Rogues have soft seats and you can blow air into them via a long tube...looks kinky if someone glances over and.... well lets say should blow the seat before get in and l always forget!
changing subject before l sink....we can pull the back pad tight and comfy

johnjake

Been getting very down lately, l know why but will take time to sort. Andy talked me into taking our kayaks out to cheer me up. Was 4.5hrs on Leeds Liverpool Canal.
Sunny and water like a mill pond fantastic reflections in the water
Time to think.
Time for feet to totally freeze (been like that since a kid bit of cold = 2 ice blocks
Time to learn to snack better due to large liver dump.... opps
Dropped kayak off the car roof setting up.. Andy bless him pushed one side before l started to secure them.
We both dropped other one getting it off and damaged front of the car pillar
Andy has lovely blood blister on his finger sorting his paddle (at my suggestion as he had to much angle on it)
I got stuck getting out my kayak my feet so cold couldn't coordinate.
Home lifting Kayaks off Andy tripped backwards over low garden wall saved best canoe and kayak hurt his ankle and leg.
I feel a lot better now despite all the chaos that would have been worth recording l had a few good laughs, got some lovely photos
Even found a Croc in the canal was wondering if l should report it.;)

View attachment 3237 View attachment 3238 View attachment 3239 View attachment 3240

kayaking become very difficult in cold weather i have canoe hobies cat 16 this is similar to kayak but little different so i don't like canoeing in cold weather because boating require normal weather for batter enjoyment I the winter season little injury pain like big injury of normal season because blood circulation
i am new and you have experience of kayaking in cold water so can you explain that what safety arrangements need for kayaking in cold weather.....?
cold water also may cause of pneumonia am i right....?