Which bg meter?

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
When I was admitted to hospital after going down hill with T1 after treatment and diagnosis I was visited by a Diabetes nurse who gave me a meter strips and all the kit and went through it all, how to use etc.
She gave me enough strips for a week , after that I went to my health centre and asked for a prescription Insulin strips needles etc.
Long story short I now have a prescription free certificate for all my meds and don't have to pay for anything Diabetes related or anything else.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hi I've got a certificate for free prescriptions for life so I may hang on now until my next doctors appointment next week.

AndyH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was lucky as well. When I was diagnosed I was given a voucher towards a meter, which then cost £5 with the voucher, and test strips on repeat. When I went on meds I got an exemption certificate. My access to strips has continued despite moving and changing doctors. The strips also continued for several years when I came off meds, although to be fair I didn't use them as often as I should have.

Andy

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Those diagnosed as type1 get free strips,needles,lancets,insulin,pens,syringes Free and exception cert. you just need to renew it, before it expires. I forgot to in a house move and Boots wouldn't dispense my insulin, even thou I had been their years, without me paying for it. Went to a independent chemist and they went you need it to live bring in your cert when you get. I got my prescription the next day, cert took a week or so to arrive, took it in and they kept the number on file, just like my local supermarket(won't name names) but told if I need emergency insulin, they keep 1 back for me. If a locum Chemist on, I''m to ask them to call the lead 2 pharmacy girls and they ok, the need for insulin. I can't fault them at the place I now use.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I've recently been diagnosed too, I was told by my GP that I don't need to test as I "won't do anything with the information anyway".
I went out this weekend and bought an iBGStar meter from Boots for £12, I chose this meter because it plugs straight in to my iPhone and iPad and means I've always got the information with me. It comes with lancets, test strips, control solution and a nifty little carrying case. The test strips are around £20 for 50.
I couldn't get a free meter either but I'm happy with the one I've chosen, and I'm hoping that if I can show the doctor that I'm more in control with testing, then I'll get the strips on prescription.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Call any meter manufacturer and tell them you are type 1, They will literally chuck meters at you!!

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently been diagnosed too, I was told by my GP that I don't need to test as I "won't do anything with the information anyway".
I went out this weekend and bought an iBGStar meter from Boots for £12, I chose this meter because it plugs straight in to my iPhone and iPad and means I've always got the information with me. It comes with lancets, test strips, control solution and a nifty little carrying case. The test strips are around £20 for 50.
I couldn't get a free meter either but I'm happy with the one I've chosen, and I'm hoping that if I can show the doctor that I'm more in control with testing, then I'll get the strips on prescription.

Sanofi iBGStar send them out free if you contact them

Sent from my iPad

Reactions: 2 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Sanofi iBGStar send them out free if you contact them

Sent from my iPad

I didn't know that, but in all honesty I wasn't that bothered about paying £12, and the test strips while not the cheapest, aren't the most expensive either.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a good little meter, to be honest I got both versions the iBGStar and the BGStar as they use the same strips and I have got a back up meter now

Sent from my iPad

steveamos1234

I agree with all the comments, if you say you are T1 (which I am anyway) you will get a free metre from any of the manufactures. I use the ibgstar but I'm thinking of changing. The ibgstar is good and very small, but the battery is terrible and needs charging weekly, plus the screen is impossible to read outdoors. Thinking about the Bayer next USB, or Accucheck Mobile. Both were sent free when I asked. That said, if I had to pay for the strips I would likely choose something cheaper. The Accucheck mobile is one of the most expensive. Luckily my GP is great.