1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which bg meter?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by bullseye58, Feb 16, 2014.

1. bullseye58

bullseye58 Type 2 · Member

Hi I've got a certificate for free prescriptions for life so I may hang on now until my next doctors appointment next week.

2. AndyH1

AndyH1 Type 2 · Active Member

I was lucky as well. When I was diagnosed I was given a voucher towards a meter, which then cost £5 with the voucher, and test strips on repeat. When I went on meds I got an exemption certificate. My access to strips has continued despite moving and changing doctors. The strips also continued for several years when I came off meds, although to be fair I didn't use them as often as I should have.

Andy

3. Cleggsta

Cleggsta Type 1 · Member

Should get a meter for free , they make there money on the strips .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Julie1471

Julie1471 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Those diagnosed as type1 get free strips,needles,lancets,insulin,pens,syringes Free and exception cert. you just need to renew it, before it expires. I forgot to in a house move and Boots wouldn't dispense my insulin, even thou I had been their years, without me paying for it. Went to a independent chemist and they went you need it to live bring in your cert when you get. I got my prescription the next day, cert took a week or so to arrive, took it in and they kept the number on file, just like my local supermarket(won't name names) but told if I need emergency insulin, they keep 1 back for me. If a locum Chemist on, I''m to ask them to call the lead 2 pharmacy girls and they ok, the need for insulin. I can't fault them at the place I now use.

5. semiphonic

semiphonic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've recently been diagnosed too, I was told by my GP that I don't need to test as I "won't do anything with the information anyway".
    I went out this weekend and bought an iBGStar meter from Boots for £12, I chose this meter because it plugs straight in to my iPhone and iPad and means I've always got the information with me. It comes with lancets, test strips, control solution and a nifty little carrying case. The test strips are around £20 for 50.
    I couldn't get a free meter either but I'm happy with the one I've chosen, and I'm hoping that if I can show the doctor that I'm more in control with testing, then I'll get the strips on prescription.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. tomvonc

tomvonc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Call any meter manufacturer and tell them you are type 1, They will literally chuck meters at you!!

7. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

Sanofi iBGStar send them out free if you contact them

Sent from my iPad

• Like Like x 2
  8. semiphonic

semiphonic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I didn't know that, but in all honesty I wasn't that bothered about paying £12, and the test strips while not the cheapest, aren't the most expensive either.

9. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

It's a good little meter, to be honest I got both versions the iBGStar and the BGStar as they use the same strips and I have got a back up meter now

Sent from my iPad

10. steveamos1234

steveamos1234 · Well-Known Member

I agree with all the comments, if you say you are T1 (which I am anyway) you will get a free metre from any of the manufactures. I use the ibgstar but I'm thinking of changing. The ibgstar is good and very small, but the battery is terrible and needs charging weekly, plus the screen is impossible to read outdoors. Thinking about the Bayer next USB, or Accucheck Mobile. Both were sent free when I asked. That said, if I had to pay for the strips I would likely choose something cheaper. The Accucheck mobile is one of the most expensive. Luckily my GP is great.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook