How to say no to sweet treats

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i tell everyone, its something to talk about, you can gauge when they get bored with hearing about it, at which point you can carry on talking about it some more, then bring out the cakes you cant eat, force one on them that they wont want by then and twitch and dribble while you watch them eat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 10 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the Andy, Thommo, and MudIslandDweller camp. Tell them. Don't only tell them. Bore them. I do this on a regular basis.
At work there are always cakes, and we've now got to the stage where I don't even get offered one because they know the delight I take in refusing then lecturing.
Yesterday someone brought cakes into the office for her birthday. There were three packs of giant cookies, two boxes of kipling cakes, two packs of six doughnuts, a box of mini millionaires shortbread, a box of mini crispy cakes, and a box of rocky road. There were 6 people in the office.
I looked at the pile and casually asked if anyone would like their blood sugar checked.

If you make up an excuse to your friend, you are always going to be beholden to that lie. So why bother with telling fibs in the first place, and just be open and honest instead.

Reactions: 6 people

planehazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a lot to learn. I've eaten three easter eggs this week :/

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Yesterday someone brought cakes into the office for her birthday. There were three packs of giant cookies, two boxes of kipling cakes, two packs of six doughnuts, a box of mini millionaires shortbread, a box of mini crispy cakes, and a box of rocky road. There were 6 people in the office.
I looked at the pile and casually asked if anyone would like their blood sugar checked.
hahahahahahah funny !

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
carry on talking about it some more, then bring out the cakes you cant eat, force one on them that they wont want by then and twitch and dribble while you watch them eat
Oh this is too much;... I've got stitch now, from laughing too hard... lolol

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Never, ever say "I can't eat that", instead say "you aren't really going to eat that rubbish are you?"
Quite... because technically you CAN eat it... just not with impunity! It is far better for one's health to CHOOSE not to eat it.
But of course, if she bakes her own Diabetes friendly cake, they can both eat it. Sorted!!

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i tell everyone, its something to talk about, you can gauge when they get bored with hearing about it, at which point you can carry on talking about it some more, then bring out the cakes you cant eat, force one on them that they wont want by then and twitch and dribble while you watch them eat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy you are one evil devil.

Tweetiepie, I suppose you could compromise, and tell your new friend that you are sugar/carbohydrate intolerant, which hopefully gets to the heart of the matter without the potential for being on the receiving end of a diabetic diatribe...

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Don't you find that makes them want to tempt you more? Years ago I told 'friends' I was on a diet ...and got 3 boxes of chocolates for Christmas. Funny...I haven't seen any of them for years.
Ha! Absolutely! Every year my mum in law used to buy us both a big tin of Celebrations, since I'm now diabetic, she still gets one but just addresses it to my partner! Typical!:banghead:
On a slightly different note, she also always gets me bubble bath - I'm a shower girl and never have a bath. I now have a back log of bubble bath. So, last year, I asked partner to kindly explain this. Christmas just gone, she gets me THE most enormous bubble bath set I have received off her yet! :arghh: Yet more bubble bath - I am going to start selling it on ebay!:oops:

Thank you for all your replies:)

Reactions: 9 people

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if i was the friend, i'd rather be told from the outset. this would give her a chance to maybe bring a bunch of flowers instead. If she's told up front, then she's not made to feel awkward and she has a chance to get you something instead, eg the flowers or a plant, bottle of wine instead. when you meet, you can always explain.

I am always asked at work to "have a cake/biscuit/chocolate", "help yourself" and i just say thanks, aw, thanks for askign but it's just a hassle to count the carbs (I'm a type 1 diabetic you see , if they don't know) and do another bolus so i'd rather not but thanks for offering

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I just say no thankyou and then get oh well i know a diabetic who eats what they want lol cant win sometimes
And do you respond with - how many fingers and toes do they still have? Lol!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I got diagnosed I did not make it a secret and at work when people are going to get cakes etc they often come up and ask if there is anything I would like. Normally I just say no thanks but will have a cuppa with them to celebrate whatever it is. Once I was bought a bag of pork scratchings because that had no carbs. Everyone dipped in and then had their sickly sweet doughnuts so I only got one piece but it was nice and I would only have scoffed all the pieces and put on pounds (a moment on the tongue a year on the tum - I'm a man so I don't have hips).

So, for me, telling them all has been good. In fact a few in the office have tested their bloods since and have cut back on the doughnuts... We will see how long that lasts ;)

So I would just tell your friends, discuss what you will eat to maintain your health and I am sure they will understand, embrace and encourage.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't it be slightly rude NOT to tell her you can´t eat what she brings? As suggested above, you don't have to say: I have diabetes! You can say something like: My blood sugar seems to be a bit too high, so I have to avoid anything sweet/whatever.

But as diabetes is neither contagious nor shameful I see no reason not to say as it is.

Reactions: 4 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
For some reason I find that if I tell people I am diabetic and can't eat cakes they seem to want to tell me I can. I then end up having a long discussion that I don't actually want to have - all over a cake.
Now I just say "So sorry, the cakes look wonderful but I am YEAST intolerant and it makes me feel so unwell that I would rather not eat them." It is funny but no one ever seems to question it! It also means that it is a get out clause for sandwiches, biscuits etc...
what good idea i have the same prob soon as u say ur diabetic everyone becomes an expert lol x