How to say no to sweet treats

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what about baking powder? Can you be allergic to both yeast and baking powder? Or all raising agents as such?

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
I dont understand why you wouldnt tell them? Being diabetic is a huge part of you and something I've personally never hidden away (couldnt and wouldnt). Wouldnt it be better to say thanks for the cake, do you mind if I have it later? I cant really snack between meals as im diabetic. > this could easily lead to a converstaion where you could educate your friend about diabeties and become closer friends afterwards.
Respect, Engineer. I am sorry about my high-handed post on this subject. Must remember to engage brain beforehand.

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
what good idea i have the same prob soon as u say ur diabetic everyone becomes an expert lol x
I wonder why that is... Do some people think it is a psychosymatic disorder...?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
ive only ben diabetic 4 months and only few know but those who do suddenly have aunties grans and all sorts with it and i get lectured on what they eat ahhaah, i politley accept the info but not take any notice ..

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
someone at work's husband is type 2, she insists on telling me I can eat things which I decline ... like chocolate. The guy I work most closely with offered me celebrations and chips off his plate yesterday, a croissant on Thursday ... he just doesn't get it ...

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I'd say: 'It seems to me that you don't have a very good grasp of Diabetes and what it entails... Let's hope you never get it!'

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
someone at work's husband is type 2, she insists on telling me I can eat things which I decline ... like chocolate. ...

He probably can...if he is taking more drugs/insulin to compensate. I was in hospital for a heart procedure a year ago and the woman in the bed next to me ate a box of chocolates. a pack of chocolate digestives and 2 big packs of crisps in one afternoon-evening. She was really pleased with herself because her blood sugars were lower than mine, yet she had lots of medication for it...I am diet controlled. I am not criticising people who need the tablets, I realise drugs are necessary for many type 2's, but to eat so much junk and then up the dose to cover it is madness.

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He probably can...if he is taking more drugs/insulin to compensate. I was in hospital for a heart procedure a year ago and the woman in the bed next to me ate a box of chocolates. a pack of chocolate digestives and 2 big packs of crisps in one afternoon-evening. She was really pleased with herself because her blood sugars were lower than mine, yet she had lots of medication for it...I am diet controlled. I am not criticising people who need the tablets, I realise drugs are necessary for many type 2's, but to eat so much junk and then up the dose to cover it is madness.

you're right ... I'm diet controlled at the moment too - did about 9 months on metformin then came off it a year ago ... my parents and brother are also type 2 ... dad and brother on maximum meds and eat what ever they feel like most of the time ... sometimes finding the will power to do it my way is hard!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My aunt does this and I could never understand it. If I have to go onto insulin so be it but at least I will know that i have done everything in my power not to go down that route! :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't get offered goodies or refreshments at work any more. All those pre-diagnosis years of being the office weirdo have paid off (caffeine-free vegetarian with a horror of other people's home-baking). If you politely decline often enough, people stop offering :happy: