Deliberately running my levels high

Switch2501

Yes I run my sugars a little above the recommended 5-7.

Type 1. Diagnosed at 14.
On Medtronic insulin pump.
Current Hba1c 7.6 loving it.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I do. I had a rotten hangover when I flew back from Budapest because I got accidentally very drunk the night before! I kept them around 11 mmol/l...I DO NOT want a hypo if I'm stuck on a plane!

So long as its a rare occurrence, then it's fine in my book.

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I think you all deserve a medal for coping so well with your diabetes and your drugs, I am glad it isn't me.
Me too... That's why I'm so desperately trying to prevent it; I just don't know if I'd cope with all that medication. My mom is 82 and she's fed up of it. :inpain:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
In the instruction manual of at least one of my meters it does say in the specs 'Altitude up to 3048metres'. I wonder what happens at 3049m? I have absolutely no idea how altitude, and presumably atmospheric pressure could affect the results.
I ssupect that 3048m is about 10,000ft, where an aircraft cabin is typically pressurised to.

Which is saying your meter is good on an aeroplane, but not mount Everest.

That's not very good, is it,in this day and age.. hehehehe.
It's descrimination against diabetics who want to climb Everest and still test.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I do. I had a rotten hangover when I flew back from Budapest because I got accidentally very drunk the night before! I kept them around 11 mmol/l...I DO NOT want a hypo if I'm stuck on a plane!

So long as its a rare occurrence, then it's fine in my book.

Haha, like that one "accidentally very drunk"
I might be that tomorrow as off our for a works do, and yes I will be safe and will run my levels slightly higher than usual, as to avoid a severe drop.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been accidentally slightly drunk before now, proceeding to deliberately very drunk.

Oddly, pre diagnosis I found that drink seemed to have less of an effect on me. Shame I can't say that now.

GlazedDoughnuts

Keep at normal levels and a pack of Glucose sweets.

For most people the sign of a hypo is pretty obvious, although when you regularly run at good levels, 2mmol may be the point where you feel it.

I've been down to 1.4mmol before, it feels like having ADHD; although with that said that's a rubbish example.

You'll feel super restless, light, somewhat energetic in the wrong way, with a huge inability to focus on anything. Being at 1.4mmol, I cought my sugars back up within 5-10 mins.

A quick gulp of Kool-Aid saw me back up to 6mmol.