1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Deliberately running my levels high

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by tomvonc, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Switch2501

Switch2501 · Well-Known Member

Yes I run my sugars a little above the recommended 5-7.

Type 1. Diagnosed at 14.
    On Medtronic insulin pump.
    Current Hba1c 7.6 loving it.

2. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I do. I had a rotten hangover when I flew back from Budapest because I got accidentally very drunk the night before! I kept them around 11 mmol/l...I DO NOT want a hypo if I'm stuck on a plane!

So long as its a rare occurrence, then it's fine in my book.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DiamondAsh

DiamondAsh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me too... That's why I'm so desperately trying to prevent it; I just don't know if I'd cope with all that medication. My mom is 82 and she's fed up of it. :inpain:

4. DiamondAsh

DiamondAsh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's not very good, is it,in this day and age.. hehehehe.
    It's descrimination against diabetics who want to climb Everest and still test.

5. mrman

mrman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Haha, like that one "accidentally very drunk"
    I might be that tomorrow as off our for a works do, and yes I will be safe and will run my levels slightly higher than usual, as to avoid a severe drop.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 3
  6. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been accidentally slightly drunk before now, proceeding to deliberately very drunk.

Oddly, pre diagnosis I found that drink seemed to have less of an effect on me. Shame I can't say that now.

7. C burns

C burns · Well-Known Member

I run my bs between 7-10 when my husband is night shift as I worry about severe hypos when I'm at home alone with my kids. It works for me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

8. GlazedDoughnuts

GlazedDoughnuts · Well-Known Member

Keep at normal levels and a pack of Glucose sweets.

For most people the sign of a hypo is pretty obvious, although when you regularly run at good levels, 2mmol may be the point where you feel it.

I've been down to 1.4mmol before, it feels like having ADHD; although with that said that's a rubbish example.

You'll feel super restless, light, somewhat energetic in the wrong way, with a huge inability to focus on anything. Being at 1.4mmol, I cought my sugars back up within 5-10 mins.

A quick gulp of Kool-Aid saw me back up to 6mmol.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook