Levels

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on why levels dropped so quick after my lunch two hours after they were 8.5 then 1hr 40mins later I felt a little peculiar checked levels again and had dropped to 3.3 got levels up again done nothing different than usual I am on humalog m3 twice a day my levels were 7.2 before lunch . Thankyou

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Difficult to say really as it is only a one off reading. I usually only act if I get repeated lows/highs. One explanation could be that perhaps you overestimated the lunchtime carb content and had a unit or 2 too much ?

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure on that insulin tbh, but sounds like a medium acting twice a day one. Seems like it peaked at your lunch time but you didn't have enough carbs to match the peak, if its regular would discuss with your dsn about reducing one or both.of your doses. How many carbs did you eat? Or, had you been active more than usual?

Reactions: 3 people

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies this is first time it has happened perhaps need a little more to eat at lunch the Insunlin I believe is a70/30 mix has for carb counting do not know much about it . Been on insulin since dec 2013 it's all a new learning curve for me.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies this is first time it has happened perhaps need a little more to eat at lunch the Insunlin I believe is a70/30 mix has for carb counting do not know much about it . Been on insulin since dec 2013 it's all a new learning curve for me.

I think the mixed insulin are tailored to you eating a set amount of carbs at set times, and allow for your usual activity/excercise. if deviating from those hypos/hypers can happen. Although, should not have to eat unnecessarily, or if you don't want too, although mixed insulin, should be able to increase/decrease to a certain degree to suit your diet.
Hooefully someone on mix will pop in.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

I have used twice daily Humalog Mix but not m3. The best control I had was eating food roughly every 3hrs.... being a meal then a snack othrrwise I would go hypo which is what has happened to you. So tomorrow remember to eat a snack at 3hrs and not wait until 3.5hrs

Reactions: 2 people