mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well, after a 9 month wait and lots of frustrating paperwork etc I finally had my medical today ! Took me 2 hours to drive there ! Worth it though. Doc was pretty cool. May I advise others though, please ensure you read up on DVLA requirements before you go. The medical is not really a medical. They go through your BG readings and ask lots of driving related questions. If you read yp before you go, no problem. PM me if you want more advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

denbo

yes m on my third stage got to go sutton coalfield either 4th or 11 dec they av sent me my renewal far to late as my hgv lcence ran out in oct and i cannot get a job with the paper work the dvla av sent me firms will not except this so im snooked untl the dvla sort it out been drivin on insuln since the ban was lifted so hopin when ive been to see their independant one it wll soon b sent out think ts disgustin not takin yr own consultants report as mnes a good report o well hope its not gon to b long now

iHs

CGM will be a godsend for many insulin dependant people who drive vehicles on and off all day long. It will enable people to keep good even control of their bg levels without the worry about hypos and higher bg levels leading to nerve damage. It will be money well spent

denbo

Well, after a 9 month wait and lots of frustrating paperwork etc I finally had my medical today ! Took me 2 hours to drive there ! Worth it though. Doc was pretty cool. May I advise others though, please ensure you read up on DVLA requirements before you go. The medical is not really a medical. They go through your BG readings and ask lots of driving related questions. If you read yp before you go, no problem. PM me if you want more advice.

How long did you have to wait before tne DVLA sent yr licence back after seeing the independant consultant ov theirs it will b two weeks this sat I saw the DVLA consultant

denbo

How long did u wait after seein the constant before they sent u yr licence

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not long, 2-3 weeks I think. I was never told I passed at the time though so strange yours did. Mine said they don't discuss it, I would just hear in the post. Maybe yours was more friendly lol !

Reactions: 2 people

denbo

Rang the DVLA today yes ya diabetes results are fine but u av got to av a cardio echo as 2half yrs when u ad yr last one so just waitin for their letter to b sent to me and my cardiac consultant another hurdle

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Rang the DVLA today yes ya diabetes results are fine but u av got to av a cardio echo as 2half yrs when u ad yr last one so just waitin for their letter to b sent to me and my cardiac consultant another hurdle
Never heard of that one ! Cardiac echo eh ! That'll be on my shopping list I guess. Good luck an don't let 'em grund you down lol :)

denbo

It's because I as a heart bypass 5 yrs ago ad to av one dun last time when they lifted the ban so u cud drive hgv on insulin I bet they know my name at DVLA I'm
On priory list agen lol

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Mo 1905 can you give me some advice regarding getting my hgv license back just got the the forms today and they are asking about low episodes of blood sugar about 4 mmol /1? Or below all at around tea time I was aware that they were low 2.9, 3.3, 3.7,3.2 , 2.9, and 2.6 before i checked with meter was not driving at the time they are stored on my meter will this go against me any idea please ?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mo 1905 can you give me some advice regarding getting my hgv license back just got the the forms today and they are asking about low episodes of blood sugar about 4 mmol /1? Or below all at around tea time I was aware that they were low 2.9, 3.3, 3.7,3.2 , 2.9, and 2.6 before i checked with meter was not driving at the time they are stored on my meter will this go against me any idea please ?

As long as you recognised the lows and dealt with them on your own it should be OK. The DVLA are aware that when on insulin, there will be episodes of low BG. Their concern is that you lose hypo awareness and fail to recognise them. If they asked me why I had lows I would ensure I had an answer and informed them I recognised every low and took on some quick acting carbs. If you are having these low episodes on a regular basis, you will need to investigate why. These lows happen for a reason, either too much insulin, exercise or not enough carbs to match the insulin. Any more questions, please ask. Mo

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it was because I had being doing things in garden etc not used to it being on sic k for a year may be leaving my snack too late only started on insulin in dec its new learning curve tride dropping the dose by 2 units but the my levels go up keep what I was on but not leaving it as long to have some thing to eat and check even more around that time problem is you know your levels are low but the meter confirms it and stores it

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you mo got cut short missed a letter out tried to correct but must have touched the send button ,I think you understand what I am trying to get across thanks steve

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's a learning curve at the beginning until you get you insulin requirement sorted to hit your diet/lifestyle. As I said before, the DVLA are OK with a few low readings as long as you recognised them and dealt with them. Good luck with your license and ask anything you may think of. Mo

denbo

They will want 3mths readings off yr meter so u will be sent a letter to go and see one ov their independant consultants he will look at yr readings I live in stoke on trent ad to go Nuffield Chester passed that but with me havin a heart bypass 5yrs ago got to av a echo cardigram to see wha my hearts like under pressure ad one 2half yrs ago so they want another then hopefully my hgv licence will b on its way as I will know the results ov test on the day this process as bin goin on for 6mths now cus I didn't av enough readings in dec so it's been a long haul agen bet it's goin b like this every time as they don't send the renewals out soon enough but I'm goin to email Oliver Morley as he's the chief exc to ask him if he wud make sure his staff send them out 3mths prior to the licence runnin out a the DVLA do not rush