Novopen Echo problem

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

Just a little warning to those who use the Novopen Echo. I have been using one for Levemir for around a year and love this pen. Recently my basal needs have been increasing significantly for no known reason and my fasting levels have been high more often than not. I just put it down to my LADA progressing and increased the basal as needed. Anyway, yesterday morning, I wasn't really concentrating and dialled 7 units and released it to prime the pen - usually I only expel 2 units - the stream of insulin released was pretty much the same as when i expel 2 units - it certainly wasn't 7 units. I tried it again 3 more times with 2 different needles - twice, nothing came out at all, and once a much larger stream came out as i would expect from 7 units. I got a new pen and used it last night and this morning with the doses of Levemir I have recently been using - I have had the hypo day from Hell! Woke with a 3.9, 2.9 half hour after breakfast - ate a couple of jelly babies, 2.6 an hour later and on it went all morning. I've had a great day of orange juice, jelly babies and biscuits, but my head is pounding. I've reduced my Levemir this evening and will keep an eye on my levels overnight, but at the moment it looks like I have been using a faulty pen for weeks.

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wasn't aware you could use other cartridges in the Echo pen, at least you've identified the problem Smidge and can slowly adjust your levels over the coming days, hope you have a better day tomorrow!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't aware you could use other cartridges in the Echo pen

You can use any of Novo's insulins that come in a Penfill cartridge - even ActRapid and Insulatard !

Will certainly be keeping a close eye on my Echo - thanks for the head's-up

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You can use any of Novo's insulins that come in a Penfill cartridge - even ActRapid and Insulatard !

Will certainly be keeping a close eye on my Echo - thanks for the head's-up

Cheers Rob, that's good to know :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the echo and in the last 10 days my basal has increased from 2u a day to 5.5u. I checked the function of my QA pen but didn't think to try the basal pen. Similar to you I assumed it's my honeymoon ending.

Food for thought! I'll take a look tomorrow to double check it's not the pen. I suspect it's just a fluke on your pen though

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Thanks for the info been using the echo pen 3 weeks and took a hypo 3.1 which shouldn't have happened will be sure to check my pen now

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling much better today. I've deliberately run my levels higher than usual because I couldn't stand another day of hypos. I need to sort out my basal levels gradually now because they've obviously been random for weeks so I've no idea what I should be taking.

Is there a proper way to periodically test pen is working properly? How do you know that when you dial 7 units it releases 7 units for example? Is there way to measure it?

Smidge

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling much better today. I've deliberately run my levels higher than usual because I couldn't stand another day of hypos. I need to sort out my basal levels gradually now because they've obviously been random for weeks so I've no idea what I should be taking.

Is there a proper way to periodically test pen is working properly? How do you know that when you dial 7 units it releases 7 units for example? Is there way to measure it?

Smidge

Someone wrote something ages ago about releasing insulin into the needles safety case bit and checking whether it comes up to a mark or something. No doubt someone will put us straight.
Will keep an eye on mine too, thanks for the heads up. Hope you get sorted okay.
Angie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As angieG says, it was the case that you would dial up 1 unit and fire it into the needle cap and if it came up to the top all was right with the pen, not very accurate but that's the only way as far as I know.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As angieG says, it was the case that you would dial up 1 unit and fire it into the needle cap and if it came up to the top all was right with the pen, not very accurate but that's the only way as far as I know.

Novo nordisk instructions state dialing 20 units into the semi-clear cap. It should come to the top of the vertical bit

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 4 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thats good to know al have to check this my sugars been high all week i assumed honeymooning coming to an end and jus started a new lantus last week