Self testing,Is it just me?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Hi! I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic 6 years ago, it is diet controlled.
I have never been offered and type of testing equipment in any form.
Do you find it helpful to use this equipment or do you find it a bind.
Like testing is taking over your life.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is a bind, however self testing can be a pain but it is vital to help keep diabetes under control

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Regardless of type you need to know what your bg levels are, ask your gp for a meter and strips or just ask for the test strips and buy your own meter.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Without testing you have no way of knowing if it's diet controlled or diet uncontrolled ! If you feel testing is a bind, just limit the amount of times you do it but it's important to understand how certain foods affect you. Good luck, Mo

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DSN was worried about this when I asked for a meter but can´t say I test much now, I have worked out what I can eat or not. I test when I want to know what different foods to to me or if I feel strange. So far I manage to keep my bg perfectly normal. Before dinner I was 3.9 for example, an hour after I was 4.3.

To me the monitor has been the vital tool. Without it I wouldn't have know what I now know so would have limited my carb intake even further. I can, for example, have a small helping of risotto and I find great happiness in this.

sarah

Testing isn't a bind at all. Diabetes can be but not the testing itself.Yes, it can be expensive if you don't get the strips on prescription but worth the investment, I find.

Without testing, all you can do is try to pick the right foods and hope for the best. It can be surprising the foods that spike me and the ones that don't. Even an hba1c test only tells you an average, it can't tell you what spikes you. It's better than nothing and gives and idea of average control but from what I have read, it's the spikes that do the most damage to our bodies. The only way to know what's going on is to test.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I next see my DSN I'm going to ask to be prescribed a meter and test strips and will point out recommendation R23 of the NICE guidelines on the management of T2 diabetes which states that self-monitoring should be available to assess changes in blood glucose control as a result of medication or lifestyle changes. If changing my diet and exercise regimes doesn't come within that guideline then i don't know what does. I await her response with interest. Further, the guidelines note that obsessional monitoring was very rare in real clinicall practice so let's see if she tries to play that card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Thank you all for your input, .it is great to get the opinions of people going through the same uncertainties.

efernandes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been T2 for 14 years now (I'm 50), admit to not taking my diabetes seriously, and my HBA1C has been rising. I weigh 63 kg/10st, 5ft3", with normal blood pressure, renal function, cholesterol. I decided to start getting fit, watching what I eat and drink, etc... My DN declined to provide me with testing strips and lancets, saying the surgery no longer provided them to T2s. I decided to buy my own and purchased the T2 Testing Kit via this website (£99). Got quite a shock to see how raised my BG were (highest 21 and lowest 6.3), and the blood testing helped me immensely when I could see that after exercising my BG levels were reduced, and this encouraged me to continue watching my diet, alcohol intake and exercise.

My last HBA1C was 9.8 and armed with my BG finger testing results I went for my review. The DN was extremely dismissive of blood glucose testing for T2s. She did not look at my charts and was not interested in discussing my concerns over my BS spikes. Her exact words were "you can test your blood till the cows come home, but they will never go down". When I tried to explain to her that I purchased the T2 Kit in an effort to control my BS's she said "there are lots of people out there who are happy to rip you off and take your cash, there is no need to do finger testing for T2s". She put me on Sitigliptin (as well as the 3x750 Metformins) that I take daily, and was told to do more cardio-exercise.

I told her that I was concerned that my BSs were high in the morning (12 15) and she said it was clearly what I had eaten the previous night. I had been eating salads for dinner that week with low carbs. When I mentioned Dawn Phenomena, she told me that she didn't believe in that stuff and I besides, I would need to test my BS at 3am. When I said I had already done so, she asked me what my reading was???!! Then asked me what it was the night before!!! So wasn't it a good job I was finger testing then??

I was disappointed with my DN as her attitude appeared somewhat frustrated - almost annoyed - with "you diabetics" (as she referred to). There was no support or encouragement (great! you are really trying, little pat on the back stuff, keep on doing what you're doing), because it is hard, very hard for some of us to get a handle on our diabetes.

I also really think it would be worth while discussing an exercise plan in addition to your meds when you have your reviews. In my opinion, it's only exercise that will help bring down sugar levels - even a 15 min walk does the trick!

My gripe is this: when I didn't test my blood sugars, I was told you need to take your diabetes seriously. Now I AM testing my bloods they say it doesn't help. How are you meant to control the condition without finger testing, if you are unable to see for yourself how/what foods cause spiking. I wonder if they are saying this because they don't want to pay and/or provide patients with the testing strips and lancets. Has anyone challenged them on this?

p.s. really sorry for the long spiel, but I just wanted to talk to others who may be experiencing the same thing...

Reactions: 2 people

efernandes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I next see my DSN I'm going to ask to be prescribed a meter and test strips and will point out recommendation R23 of the NICE guidelines on the management of T2 diabetes which states that self-monitoring should be available to assess changes in blood glucose control as a result of medication or lifestyle changes. If changing my diet and exercise regimes doesn't come within that guideline then i don't know what does. I await her response with interest. Further, the guidelines note that obsessional monitoring was very rare in real clinicall practice so let's see if she tries to play that card.
I'd be really interested to know what she says ...

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I like this post actually because self testing our life may create new form to see the life at another level....