Just been diagnosed with Type 2

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Thanks for all for looking at my post.

I have today been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I know that my diet has not been correct for a very long time and most days it has been fast food and soft drinks, energy drinks, crisps and chocolate, anything that i can take and eat at my desk at work.

My diet has now got to change. Not sure how but I would like any ideas for lunch and drinks. I am a 43 year old male and slightly overweight. I have started walking 2 miles a day to try and bring weight under control.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated and thanks once again for looking at my post

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome :)

Phew what a shock huh

dont panic! there is alot to learn and take in right now, youve found the best place to learn what you need to know

have you been given a meter? these are very useful to us as we can test which foods make our blood glucose rise, so if the doc didnt give you one, you may need to buy one

a good place to start is to cut out or drastically reduce your carbohydrates, the obvious foods to avoid are bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, now when you give this some thought you will probly feel like there is little else left to eat but you will learn that this is not the case, there is plenty of stuff to eat, have a look at the forums recipe sections, they are great, carbs basically turn into sugar once eaten so eating a slice of bread is eating sugar as far as your body is concerned, this is a huge subject so i would suggest having a good long read of the forum

try not to worry about all the complications you will no doubt be reading about, with good control these are avoidable in most cases

so in an effort to not overload you with info, go right ahead and ask questions, we are here to help when you need it

best of luck

Reactions: 5 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi TOSH1 and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information which we give to new members which should be useful to you. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome TOSH1 and I am sorry you joined our select band of men and women, but as Andy says don't panic, read what you can and ask questions. Knowledge is the key.

Hi, Welcome :)
Your post was very nicely worded and very helpful.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tosh, welcome to the Forum, you have come to the right place for lots of good advice and support.

Marilyn

Reactions: 2 people

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I am still in shock at the moment and going through this forum there is so much info to take in.

I don't have a meter yet and have an appointment with my doctor next week. I do tend to drink 2 pints of orange juice in the evening which I have seen is not good.

From tomorrow I am going to start drinking black coffee with no sugar to start the day. I will also start shopping and looking at what I eat.

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I need to tell the DVLA and my insurance policy? If I lose my license I will lose my Job
Sorry another question - Is salted popcorn good for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Do I need to tell the DVLA and my insurance policy? If I lose my license I will lose my Job
Sorry another question - Is salted popcorn good for you?
Are you on any meds ? Salted popcorn is OK as a snack in small quantities.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tosh, You will need to inform your insurance company, but it depends on what meds your are on as to whether you need to notify the DVLA.

Marilyn

Mushroom

Hi Tosh, You will need to inform your insurance company, but it depends on what meds your are on as to whether you need to notify the DVLA.

Marilyn
My insurance wasn't interested if it's only Metformin but as I do not take that, so not a problem but do check with them.
The black coffee? Add some cream - rich, yummy and (importantly) filling.

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not on any medication.......yet
If the doctor suggests that I start taking this, I think I will refuse and try and change my diet and exercise routine.
I have been told that when you wake up first thing in the morning. go for a run without eating anything and this will help lose weight

K

Kat100

Go for so run without eating ????? Not something I would do, or walk in my case, hi and welcome, hope you get the right guidance for your needs ....
Best wishes Kat

K

Kat100

Hi and welcome, you are thinking of going for a run without any fuel (food ) for energy ......not do sure this would be a good idea...
Perhaps it is early days and you need to cope with the shock and give some thought to how you are hoping to cope with change...
Maybe take some advice or explore , with regard to exercise and eating ....look after yourself Kat

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I'm not on any medication.......yet
If the doctor suggests that I start taking this, I think I will refuse and try and change my diet and exercise routine.
I have been told that when you wake up first thing in the morning. go for a run without eating anything and this will help lose weight
Hello TOSH1 and welcome.

I have a vague idea that exercising without eating is called empty something but can't remember what so not terribly helpful ;)
For a non diabetic it might work ok but for you I don't think it's such a good idea. I see you aren't on any drugs at the moment as you have only just been diagnosed so the risk of a hypo is non-existent to slight I think but still, you ARE diabetic so you will find that what used to apply to you just won't now. That goes for eating as well as exercising but it's not the end of the world at all. You will learn what suits you and what doesn't.

Good Luck and ask all you need to. Remember there are no stupid questions on here :)

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK my diet has sort of started today. Woke up at 6am and went for a 1.5 mile walk without anything. Came back and black coffee no milk and sugar. Lets see how the day goes. Think it will be hard
Whats a hypo?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A hypo is when your blood sugar instead of being dangerously high (hyper) becomes dangerously low.

Doing a walk of a mile and a half without eating will likely cause your liver to release glucose from its own store. This is how your body "saves" you from hypos. Depending on your insulin resistance may cause you to go into a high blood glucose level. Your muscle will use it up but may push you fairly high for a short period. The important thing is to get your heart slightly elevated and your muscles to hurt a little bit (you know they are working). Do not try high intensity exercise just yet as this may cause your liver to put you in a hyper state. You muscles have the own store of glucose just like the liver and will burn this first and then try to take up the glucose from your blood. Hence, without food, you are relying on your liver and pancreas. Note that the muscles don't use the glucose if they are not being worked and that is why it is probably best to go for a walk about an hour after eating.

I must admit that I also exercise before I eat breakfast and found this to be the best way to remove the fat from my abdomen. I also exercise after I eat food at lunch and in the evenings. I would very much recommend you get a meter - good luck getting one from your Dr as they aren't generally giving them out any more and you will likely have to purchase your own (The SD CodeFree from Amazon is cheap - the strips are the expensive part and this one is 50 for £7).

When you see your Dr make sure you get your diagnostic numbers (HbA1c and Fasting).

I would recommend you start a food, exercise and blood glucose reading log (I use a spreadsheet) which allows me to track which allows me to see patterns.

Keep the questions coming

Reactions: 4 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Welcome to the forum:)

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tosh, I think what Andrew as said is really good advice, i have just been diagnosed and I am like you unsure what to eat and without a meter its impossible to know what food affects us. So I have cut down on my food intake and increased exercise and I have lost some weight and feel better for being more active. I think at the moment its a shock to you and you need time to get your head around things, I know I did