DVLA medical

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes got 3months of readings but as I was saying to mo1905 I had about 5or 6 under 4 mmol on my meter can explain why I think it happened how strict are they? Thanks for replying

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

denbo

They are getting stricter none under 3 this is a eu thing that u av got to go see a independant consultant ov theirs wasn't like this when the ban was first lifted I saw my own constant and he looked at my meter it seems to me they r not believing yr own consultants and when ya not workin and ya got go to who ever tney tell u to see it's all petrol money I've ad no money since I was made redundant in sept and my licence ran out and can't get a job I mean time as none about van drivin

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I had to see DVLA doc too. It's not that they don't trust your own consultant, it's just that they don't class them as impartial and these DVLA docs are specially trained. I had a 2.9 reading and no problem, I got my LGV license renewed. It is a pain in the a** but as long as you know the driving/testing rules and still have hypo awareness it's OK.

Reactions: 5 people

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They are getting stricter none under 3 this is a eu thing that u av got to go see a independant consultant ov theirs wasn't like this when the ban was first lifted I saw my own constant and he looked at my meter it seems to me they r not believing yr own consultants and when ya not workin and ya got go to who ever tney tell u to see it's all petrol money I've ad no money since I was made redundant in sept and my licence ran out and can't get a job I mean time as none about van drivin
I am in the same boat money is tight also need medical in April for 50 birthday no point wasting money on that if I got reading below 3 to 2.6 gets you feeling down !

denbo

Like mo 1905 says as long as u av hypo awareness it's not a prob and you carry detrose biscuits so u can snack as I do when driving u be fine and they ask how do u start to feel if yr goin av a hypo and also the time to wait is 45 min then check ya blood before startin to drive mine ws brill at Chester told me I'd passed there do just got do this test for em
Now

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have my echo cardigram mon then the consultant can fax results to DVLA so licence bk soon I hope
I have to have ECG on Friday just found out I have an irregular heartbeat so applying for mine is on hold till I find out more all these things come to try us?

denbo

Well ad a echo stress test done on the 7th April the consultant faxed results through the Nxt day as there's no change from
Last time I as the procedure done rang DVLA the week after nothing cum through yet was their answer last time I ad it dun I got my licence bk the week after so now it's bank hol and so it looks like waitin that bit longer as they will say there's a back log well I say work on a Saturday then get it down grrr ready to get bk to my job but these folk keep holdin things up

denbo

They will want 3mths readings off yr meter so u will be sent a letter to go and see one ov their independant consultants he will look at yr readings I live in stoke on trent ad to go Nuffield Chester passed that but with me havin a heart bypass 5yrs ago got to av a echo cardigram to see wha my hearts like under pressure ad one 2half yrs ago so they want another then hopefully my hgv licence will b on its way as I will know the results ov test on the day this process as bin goin on for 6mths now cus I didn't av enough readings in dec so it's been a long haul agen bet it's goin b like this every time as they don't send the renewals out soon enough but I'm goin to email Oliver Morley as he's the chief exc to ask him if he wud make sure his staff send them out 3mths prior to the licence runnin out a the DVLA do not rush
Well just rang the DVLA they av my results now from my stress echo cardigram got to b scanned on the system and checked by medical team took two weeks 18mths ah this time it's fell on a bank hol so I bet got wait another week for em do all this so fed up as I need to get bk into work asap if I don't hear soon I will b emailing mr Morley agen I think shake things up

Togolese

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well just rang the DVLA they av my results now from my stress echo cardigram got to b scanned on the system and checked by medical team took two weeks 18mths ah this time it's fell on a bank hol so I bet got wait another week for em do all this so fed up as I need to get bk into work asap if I don't hear soon I will b emailing mr Morley agen I think shake things up
I don't think they realise these things effect people !

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had to see DVLA doc too. It's not that they don't trust your own consultant, it's just that they don't class them as impartial and these DVLA docs are specially trained. I had a 2.9 reading and no problem, I got my LGV license renewed. It is a pain in the a** but as long as you know the driving/testing rules and still have hypo awareness it's OK.

Apparently more than 1 reading under 3 and more than 4 under 3.6mmol in 3 months is seen as being hypo unaware. I am hypo aware, but tend to get easily distracted. I have since disciplined myself to treat any hypo feeling immediately. I would hate to kill someone because I thought that I was capable of driving for another 5 minutes without stopping.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Apparently more than 1 reading under 3 and more than 4 under 3.6mmol in 3 months is seen as being hypo unaware. I am hypo aware, but tend to get easily distracted. I have since disciplined myself to treat any hypo feeling immediately. I would hate to kill someone because I thought that I was capable of driving for another 5 minutes without stopping.
Where is this info from as I've never read or heard anything about them ? Not saying they're incorrect just wondered if they were new guidelines or if it's just something your doc adheres to.

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My diabetes team have been keeping a database of results that they have sent to the DVLA for at least the past 17 years. The database does not include any personal info, the data entered is of the kind of licence applied for, BG results sent (for example 70% between 4 and 9mmol, number of instances of below 3mmol readings, below 3.6mmol readings), length of time taken for DVLA to respond notifying the applicant of next steps, notifying the decision etc. I spoke to my DSN about 6 months before I applied, she literally said hang on a minute checked the database and said "As a bare minimum, you will need 3 months' BG results, preferably a minimum of 6 tests at various times of the day and if you can respond to your hypos faster than you normally do, we are confident that your licence will be renewed".

According to the statistics obtained from this database, the numbers I have quoted are the limits that the DVLA appeared to have settled on over a period of time to decline driving licences for the reason of hypo unawareness, from the applicants who's data has been processed by my hospital anyway.. This is good enough for me. My licence was renewed within a month.

When I telephoned the DVLA a few minutes ago to ask, the medical advisor I spoke to coughed and spluttered and asked me who from the DVLA had issued me with those numbers. I said no-one, just that they seemed reasonable numbers to me . . . we had a 20 minute discussion about would I personally want someone who had suffered BGs under 3mmol several times over the last week to drive me anywhere? My answer was no. Common sense, I guess.

denbo

Well rang yet agen the DVLA yesterday yes it's goin to.b scanned after Avin me results bk ov me stress echo cardigram well hurry up bout it I thought seems like ages since I filled forms in oct for the renewal

Reactions: 3 people