I cannit wait until tuesday

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I have my live start on tuesday 22nd!!!!!! Sooooooo excited cannot wait . Eeeeeeppppp

sent from planet look at me look at meee!!!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope it all goes well Cupcaake, keep us informed on your progress :)

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I now need to wait until thursday :-( my pump hasnt arrived yet angry and disappointed

H

Hooked

I now need to wait until thursday :-( my pump hasnt arrived yet angry and disappointed

Oh no!!! I was thinking on you this morning too, as it's one week to go for me.
It will seem like forever, but just two more days is short in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Hi

If you are getting a pump that works with a certain bg meter, do make sure that you get a tub of strips for it from a pharmacy as the dsn might not have any. Also, make sure that the GP will prescribe suffi ient strips to allow for bg testing about 10 times per day. Although pumps dont go wrong too often, when they do, bg can go extremely high, so ideally make sure that yr GP prescribes 1 cartridge of bolus to go in yr pen so that if you can give yrself a bolus using a pen if need be. The pump dsn will probably give a meter to test for keytones but if not, ask the GP to prescribe.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That's a shame, still it's only 2 more days to wait and I'm sure it will be worth it :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

If you are getting a pump that works with a certain bg meter, do make sure that you get a tub of strips for it from a pharmacy as the dsn might not have any. Also, make sure that the GP will prescribe suffi ient strips to allow for bg testing about 10 times per day. Although pumps dont go wrong too often, when they do, bg can go extremely high, so ideally make sure that yr GP prescribes 1 cartridge of bolus to go in yr pen so that if you can give yrself a bolus using a pen if need be. The pump dsn will probably give a meter to test for keytones but if not, ask the GP to prescribe.

Sound advice.

Ketone meter on prescription? Can I move to your postcode please, you have won the lottery!

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you not get one too, Spilker? I got a ketone meter when I got my pump, and had assumed that everyone did!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got the ketone meter on my pre-pump DAFNE course, but my PCT doesn't fund the strips it uses. "Let them eat Ketostix" is their attitude.

H

Hooked

I was offered a ketone meter when I went for my pump induction, but turned it down as I have a glucomenLX lying unused here at home. So have requested a prescription for the ketone strips for it from my GP, stating that the DSN told me to get some. Fingers crossed I get them!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I was told by nurse on DAFNE course that ketostix are not recommended any more and I was given a new meter that tests for Ketones. They said doc cannot refuse them on prescription, although they only come in packs of 10.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told by nurse on DAFNE course that ketostix are not recommended any more and I was given a new meter that tests for Ketones. They said doc cannot refuse them on prescription, although they only come in packs of 10.
I'd be interested to know the basis of that statement that the doc "cannot refuse them", as I would like to present whatever the argument is to my own PCT. Who still won't prescribe the AccuCheck Mobile cassettes either.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'd be interested to know the basis of that statement that the doc "cannot refuse them", as I would like to present whatever the argument is to my own PCT. Who still won't prescribe the AccuCheck Mobile cassettes either.
Well, I don't have anything in writing but our whole course were given a new meter ( Glucome LX Plus ) as this tested for Ketones. She wrote to my doc and informed him my prescription needed changing. This was Addenbrookes in Cambridge so maybe it is their policy and not NHS ? Not sure. They said the issue with the ketostix is that they are not accurate because the results with urine test gives a historical, not current result.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I don't have anything in writing but our whole course were given a new meter ( Glucome LX Plus ) as this tested for Ketones. She wrote to my doc and informed him my prescription needed changing. This was Addenbrookes in Cambridge so maybe it is their policy and not NHS ? Not sure. They said the issue with the ketostix is that they are not accurate because the results with urine test gives a historical, not current result.
Exactly the same thing happened to me (at Guy's & St Thomas's in London)... except the doc said no to the GlucomenLX ketone strips prescription.

I was significantly impacted by the time delay on the Ketostix during my recent bout of DKA. It was aggravating, to put it mildly. My blood sugar and (urine) ketones were out of sync by several hours, leading me to think I was getting better when I wasn't, and generally making a very serious condition much harder to manage.

I will try again with my doc and use this argument. Also it would be interesting to find out what the price difference is between Ketostix and blood ketone strips.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good luck and I hope your doc sees sense. Yes they are not cheap but it's not something you need to use regularly. I've never had to use any ( touch wood ) but nice to know they are there.

teen-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck with starting pumping, I absolutely love mine so far! My new meter arrived on Christmas eve and I started pumping live (after a delay over Christmas on 30th December) so it felt like a great Christmas present after waiting for 18 months!! if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me as I'm finding things myself through trial and error that may be of use to you :)