Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've reminded me on a story my cousin once told me about a T1 diabetic at her work. He was explaining his diabetes to his work colleagues and explained to them that if he went hypo he MUST have a drink of Coke - and that it was the fizz that he needed to get his levels back up. It HAD to be fizzy. She gently asks if it wasn't in fact the sugar in the drink that was important, regardless of wether it was fizzy or not. Nope, he informed them, it HAS to be fizzy.
What hope do non diabetics have of getting it right when that's someone that needs to know his stuff?! :rolleyes:

Words fail me!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A friend of my mums bumped into me out side my house years ago.
"Hello Jeremy, how yer asthma?" (Jeremy is NOT my christian name.) "I don't have asthma, i'm diabetic."
"Oh good.. Your cured." she replied.
"Yarp." said i. "Insulin solves all ills... Best keep walking these hi sugar levels off though. Byeee!"

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My wife likes the show 2 Broke Girls (I don't by the way) and in an episode a few weeks ago there was a diabetic character who had a hypo, collapsed on the floor yet they miraculously revived him instantly by injecting him with insulin. I sighed and went to make myself a cup of tea and made a note never to tell anyone where I keep my insulin in case they try this stunt.
Wow that's actually grounds for a serious complaint to the producers of the show. Given that you could actually kill someone by doing that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my sugars were sitting at around the 20 mark that day and I was told tales of the two times another diabetic that works there had severe hypos - she's T2. o_O
I'm t2 and I have hypo's what difference does it make what type you are?

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Reactions: 4 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Question "Do you know that emergency glucagen injection, do I need to stab it into your heart?
That is hilarious - is he a big fan of The Rock?

Wow that's actually grounds for a serious complaint to the producers of the show. Given that you could actually kill someone by doing that.
If you were to complain about every incorrect depiction of diabetes in popular media I don't think you'd have the time to watch any.

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
By a fitness 'expert' from some horrendous fit camp thing I went to years ago.
"I know you're type 1 but you're big so you'll just end up getting type 2 as well."
Oh riggghhhttt that's how it works :shifty:

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get asked that so much too! I have even been asked 'so how many weeks worth of insulin do you have to have until it's gone?' as if diabetes is a common cold! If only it was something that could go away!

You do have to laugh :)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I found that episode, it's season 3, episode 10. The guy starts to faint and they actually say stuff like "he's diabetic, he needs insulin!"... and the girl gets an empty syringe, pulls it (she's getting AIR inside...) and pretends to inject it in his stomach. 10 seconds later he's up again, feeling perfect. Dumbest things I've seen.

Reactions: 3 people

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is hilarious - is he a big fan of The Rock?

If you were to complain about every incorrect depiction of diabetes in popular media I don't think you'd have the time to watch any.
I think Pulp Fiction and the adrenalin injection scene has a lot to answer for.

Reactions: 9 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
At least they knew there are some kind of "types"... Most people don't.

The most annoying ones I had were: "i knew someone who had diabetes so you shouldn't eat that!"
I beg to differ. Got this one.....
"My dad has diabetes and you must eat carbs. I planned all his meals for him." The urge to respond " and is he still alive now ?" Was overwhelming but I was a good girl and didn't!

Reactions: 13 people

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I have a note with my insulin saying "please don't inject me if my sugar is low. Give me a sweet drink thank you " I've never had to have anyone read it - thank goodness.

Reactions: 16 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a note with my insulin saying "please don't inject me if my sugar is low. Give me a sweet drink thank you " I've never had to have anyone read it - thank goodness.

That's a brilliant idea. I'm going to do that right now!

Indiana x

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

Probably best to say "Please do NOT inject." They might wrongly assume your sugars are high rather than low and not heed the warning.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what I've put. "In case of emergency please do not inject me. Please ring an ambulance. Thank you"
Put it in my insulin pouch thingy :)

Indiana x

Reactions: 5 people

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
I found that episode, it's season 3, episode 10. The guy starts to faint and they actually say stuff like "he's diabetic, he needs insulin!"... and the girl gets an empty syringe, pulls it (she's getting AIR inside...) and pretends to inject it in his stomach. 10 seconds later he's up again, feeling perfect. Dumbest things I've seen.

How can they even air that kind of stuff?

Reactions: 7 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I remember reading a post on another thread where the poster said that if he put rice or pasta on his plate this was seen as ok but if he had dresser then people were trying to stop him. I take great delight in pointing out to people that pasta and rice have a higher glycemic content Ghana tablespoon of sugar. No one listens though - lol!