What's the worst experience you have experienced with type 1???

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter has diabetes type 1... Only 3 weeks ago she was in bed and started screaming.. I ran up the stairs and all I can explain it as, she looked like something was inside her!! She couldn't see, hear and was jumping every minute.. Has anyone else that is older to describe what she was feeling as she is only young.. Can she remember what happened??

When I was younger just before I was diagnosed (I was 5) I used to have night terrors that made me do things like this. My mom said it was horrifying to see. Once I was diagnosed and was getting better it stopped. I still get bad dreams when my bloods are high or low during the night and I'm now 22. Don't usually remember much of it in the mornings but it freaks my partner out.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

ChloeAlisha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My worst experience was my diagnosis. The GP called my mum, leaving a voicemail with no warning of what was occurring health wise except, if she deteriorates in the night, take her to a&e. In the morning, the doctors called and asked for me to be brought in. The GP told me that I had type one, and only after all of this that my pancreas was way past honeymoon stage and my glucose levels were 49.9 m/mol. To be honest, sometimes I wonder how I was still standing at that point. I was taken to hospital, where it took five attempts to insert a cannular and two hours to be seen by the diabetes consultant.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was younger just before I was diagnosed (I was 5) I used to have night terrors that made me do things like this. My mom said it was horrifying to see. Once I was diagnosed and was getting better it stopped. I still get bad dreams when my bloods are high or low during the night and I'm now 22. Don't usually remember much of it in the mornings but it freaks my partner out.

Indiana x

Some stuff on it here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror
Incidentally i once had an ex tell me she woke & saw a shrouded figure stood over me.. On another occasion two more crouched by my side..
Which was weird because i awoke one night & saw a big dude dressed like a late 19th century farm labourer filling the bedroom doorway looking at me like he'd come home & caught me in bed with his wife...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Indiana x

I had all sorts of wierd dreams, sweats and cramps. I would wake up in the middle of the night jumping out of bed in agony as my legs tied up. Once they'd relaxed enough for me to walk, I would sit there and watch all of my leg muscles twitching and writhing on their own

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had all sorts of wierd dreams, sweats and cramps. I would wake up in the middle of the night jumping out of bed in agony as my legs tied up. Once they'd relaxed enough for me to walk, I would sit there and watch all of my leg muscles twitching and writhing on their own

Now you mention it I remember that too! Very very painful, and they used to hurt for a few days after as if I had pulled the muscle in my calf.

Indiana x

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I used to have that too. But it was pre diagnosis and early on. I think it was due to chronic dehydration. It hasn't happened in many years.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, would you say these occurrences were exrsise related..?
I normally only get weird "shamanistic" dreams if I get flu. (Which I haven't had in a couple of years.) However the cramps I get co-incided with some particularly heavy work I was doing job wise regarding weights & a lot of stairs..
Which incidentally, about that time I did a perticularly energetic gig in Germany & woke during the night in agony feelling like I'd torn a calf muscle or smashed my ankle..? & Had jumped off a particularly high stage.. I don't normally take pain killers, I managed to blag some of the bass player but even they didn't work. The only thing that alleviated the pain was soaking the lower part of my leg in very cold water..
I was seriously considering grabbing my health card & visiting a German A&E? Then by the late afternoon I could miraculously put weight on it & walk again...
Having spent 3 years in a dance college I normally warm up prior to gigs at the risk of a lot of P taking from the other guys...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, would you say these occurrences were exrsise related..?
I normally only get weird "shamanistic" dreams if I get flu. (Which I haven't had in a couple of years.) However the cramps I get co-incided with some particularly heavy work I was doing job wise regarding weights & a lot of stairs..
Which incidentally, about that time I did a perticularly energetic gig in Germany & woke during the night in agony feelling like I'd torn a calf muscle or smashed my ankle..? & Had jumped off a particularly high stage.. I don't normally take pain killers, I managed to blag some of the bass player but even they didn't work. The only thing that alleviated the pain was soaking the lower part of my leg in very cold water..
I was seriously considering grabbing my health card & visiting a German A&E? Then by the late afternoon I could miraculously put weight on it & walk again...
Having spent 3 years in a dance college I normally warm up prior to gigs at the risk of a lot of P taking from the other guys...
No, these were entirely diabetes related, pre diagnosis and felt very different from exercise related muscle aches.

My left calf, for instance is a bit tight at the moment from Sunday's 20 miler, but I know a bit of massage will ease that out. The pre-diagnosis stuff just had no respite. I'm very surprised I managed to maintain the level of training I did to be honest.

Chloe jade

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
This has only happened once!! Iv adjusted her insulin, and she seems a lot happier!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, these were entirely diabetes related, pre diagnosis and felt very different from exercise related muscle aches.

My left calf, for instance is a bit tight at the moment from Sunday's 20 miler, but I know a bit of massage will ease that out. The pre-diagnosis stuff just had no respite. I'm very surprised I managed to maintain the level of training I did to be honest.

To be honest with you I'm not surprised regarding the pre diagnosis high blood sugar stuff... I heard a harrowing story from a type1 friend, diabetic since childhood & in his youth keen on sport & out every day of the week participating.. He took his diabetes for granted in his 20's & now has a kidney transplant & all the other stuff that goes with it.. He told me at the time he never gave the high blood sugars a second thought.. I can only assume his "tolerance level" adjusted to the high BS in the same way someone would to drugs or alcohol..? But the damage is still being done...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yeah same here. The pain of those pre diagnosis leg cramps was agonising, and each time it felt like it would never end.

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
after my first year with diabetes, i stopped caring for my glucose levels, ended up in a&e 3-4 times within 2 months the worst part was the first time it happened i had no idea what was happening, what i remember was my neighbour ended up in the same room as me as my mum was panicing and next thing i know i projectile vomited on him, he's never looked at me the same since, No but seriously they were great about it they helped clean up and everything, horrible experiences overall was just from high levels for to long or so

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going a bit off topic, some of these symptoms could have been mistaken for "demonic possession" in the 17th century..

Travelling enthusiast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He also told me that I should accept the insulin, as it would make something exciting to show my school friends! I hope that he was prevented from practicing medicine shortly after. Sorry.

What a horrible human being that doctor. Don't they take an oath - First do no harm, he must have missed that day at Uni. But look your still here and fit and fighting