Oodles of noodles!

Kazzieann

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love stir fries, prefer noodles to rice but as a recently diagnosed T2, I'm not sure where noodles sit on the low carb diet I'm trying to follow at the moment. Anyone got any suggestions?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.

RLightning

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i like hong kong noodles i think they're the best :D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How severe is the laxative effect? I've been wanting to jump back in to a low carb diet for a while now, and these noodles just sound too good to be true (hoping they're not!)

They have exactly the opposite effect on me and bung me up if I eat too many! :wideyed: like the noodles but the rice and pasta feel nasty in my mouth, I only have them occasionally because of the effect on my bowels, I have diverticulitis and being bunged up is the last thing I want.

You need to add lots of flavour to them as they taste of nothing, I use them for spag bol and toss them in garlic butter and lots of black pepper, also good in a stir fry with chicken/prawn and chilli

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How severe is the laxative effect? I've been wanting to jump back in to a low carb diet for a while now, and these noodles just sound too good to be true (hoping they're not!)

Well I may not be a good judge of that, since I suffer from IBS as well. I had them 2x and was okay, just mild effects. Then another time with a bit stronger effects. Then I had them another time and all hell broke loose!

If they don't upset you, I think they are a great alternative.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
There is a great book called the low carb gourmet, you can get it on amazon. There is a recipe for squash spaghetti, which I'm sure you could do as noodles too. I haven't tried it yet, but you bake the squash halves in some water for 40mins and then just scrape out the squash with a fork! You can also microwave the squash. I bet this would be lovely with a nice stirfry.

Reactions: 2 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh wow, I forgot all about spaghetti squash. I haven't done that in years. Must put that on my grocery list. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Konjac noodles have never bunged me up, or loosened me down, at all. No effect whatsoever.

So I guess it must be a very personal thing.

Where do you all buy them?

I got an excellent deal once, on Groupon. Then another time I got a bulk order when Holland and Barrett did one of their BOGOF offers.

I find them offensively expensive, at full price, and won't buy.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get them from H&B, when they have their penny sale. Otherwise, I agree, they are very expensive.